02 August 2011

Home Pitch

Y'know, i'm going to have to start designing my Bloodbowl table because I want it to look cool. The pitch, the Dugouts, a parking spot for the Squiggoth, a Dice Tower... It'll be a pretty awesome table because I damn well want it to be.

We have to get down the basics, such as the pitch itself. Kel has his own pitch that he made, using a 60x90cm board, then gotten a GW Grass Mat and laid it over. Then he marked out the lines, drill on a handle and Bob Biffords your Uncle: he has a portable table.

Now I like that idea, it's simple and it works out well. If I want a Blood Bowl Game, I can just whip out that baby and Game On. Nice and Cheap. Not to mention reliable.

But for the one day that I get to make my Nerd Hold, I will want a couple of tables that are permanent looking. So one of which will be the Blood Bowl table, because nothing changes on that table except the models that play on it.

So I'm going to think about the Skarboyz Home Field. How would I build it? W hat would I put on it? What would be cool to have in it?

Well I'll need dugouts. That should be easy enough. When I do the main table, cut out some squares in the board and cut the grass out after that. The get some Tack Nails and some glue and secure it underneath with a thinner board.

There's a parking spot for the Touring Squiggoth “Skarboyz Biggest Fan”. He'll want to see the game, so he'll need a front on view. I may put him at the Away Teams end, so that they feel a little threatened when they go to make a touchdown.
The Enemy of my Friend gets Eaten – The touring squiggoth is well aware that he shouldn't eat enemy players. However, occasionally he just gets so mad he can't help himself. After an enemy player makes a successful touchdown, the squiggoth rolls a D6. On a roll of a 1, the squiggoth eats the player that just made a touchdown. The player is not dead, however it cannot be retrieved unti the end of the half. The player has -2 to anything to do with the ball (intercept, catch, pass, pickup) as their hands are slippery, and they gain the Foul Appearance mutation until the end of the match.
I also want to make a Dice Tower. I've had a look at a couple of different internal designs for dice towers (the standard 3 ramps; the entropy tower where there's loads of sticks in the way of the tunnel; spiral tower) and I think they're all very cool, and different which is the best part.

But there's the problem of outer design because I don't know what to do with it. I could cover it in Blood Bowl Adverts; I could put on a rockin stage for the Skarboyz Cheerleading Band; I could make a commentators box for Bob Bifford and Jim Johnson. Those are three (rather cool) options. And this will be up the Home Team end so that it's not in the way of players.

Then I'll have to have grandstands. And the only image in my head for the grandstands is a bunch of cartoon fantasy characters jumping and cheering on a long strip of paper which is stuck onto a set of paddlepop seats.

I dunno. May as well figure out what to do with the first set, though before I head anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment