12 March 2012

Maggies

Now I don't hate them. I did a long time ago when I was riding my bike to school, since they'd swoop me as I passed their nests, but now I don't have that problem. (Though I'd like to start riding again, but I'll have to get back to that another day) Now a-days, I usually see Magpies when I'm mowing Mums lawn.


Every time I go out there, they'd stand by and occasionally jump down to grab at the worms and jump back up into any of the trees we have in the yard. (I'd have to ask Mum what they are, I've forgotten) This time, mowing out the front yard, a little magpie just sat there and watched. I even got so close that he could reach out and peck my head as I pushed on by.

I thought that was entertaining. I would've reached out to give him a scratch if I weren't afraid he'd either bite me, or I'd pick up something like Fleas.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Matt,
    Gonna put on my 'bird nerd" hat here...

    That fella in the photo is not actually a magpie, he's a Pied Butcherbird. They are related to the magpie, as the magpie is the largest of the Australian butcherbirds.

    They seem to know the sound of a mower means a good feed, cause they are always around when you mow. They also seem to hang around a bit when I'm doing the gardening, but that isn't a "food alarm" the way a mower is. They eat the grubs, cockroaches, skinks and such that get flushed out when you mow the lawn.

    Cheers
    Tim

    ReplyDelete