01 February 2015

Borderlands the... Post Sequel?

S
Randy Pitchford.  Charming; Handsome; Fun Loving.  A pittance of pleasurable features on his business card.

He's also the head of one of my favourite Shooter series, Borderlands.  So I was rather happy to hear that they are prepared to make their third iteration, and are eager to hire people on.

So I sent in my email and simply said "I'm not an industry badass, I have no technical qualifications, but if you need anything, AND I MEAN ANYTHING, from this dislodged Australian, then please give me a bell."

It won't amount to anything, but you can't say I didn't put my 2 cent in.  But thats what this blog is for, to turn that copper into a shiny gold dollar coin.  So here we go for a list of things I want to see in Borderlands 3.

Random Setting for Skins and Heads 
Ive talked about this before, and i want to talk about it again. Because aesthetics is a null point for me, especially if they dont serve a purpose aside from the matter of collecting them.  So i would happily like a random setting for them so I can show off my collection without scrolling through and picking how i should be tarted up today.

Rare Currency Auto-Collection
This is the most frustrating thing ever. Toddling around and searching for purple bricks or Lunar rocks only to have realised I've left something in the oven and have to plod on with the little niggling feeling that I've left something behind, specifically the respective currency.

Background Downloads
Just last night, i fired up BL1.5 and had to download a couple of things, namely the first of the four upcoming DLC, Lady Hammerlock, and a Compatibility Pack.  It took the better part of an hour to download the lot of them, leaving me there to twiddle my thumbs at 2:30 in the morning.  So some background effort would be nice.

Shared World Shooter, ala Destiny
Destiny is a good game, right?  But it has obviously been wasted.  So why not show them how to fuggin do it properly.  Get your massive areas, new regions and everything, and go have a blast runnig around like mad with a couple of guys and gals you pick up along the way.  Throw in random encounters, and periodic world special events that you dont have to fuggin pay for (thank you, Destiny DLC) and you'll have a beauty of a game.

Divergent Stories
Every character you make will go through the same story.  But that can get stale very easily.  So why not encourage different characters not just with different play styles and a few unique callouts in dialog, but with unique experiences and encounters! Have their ulterior motives a bit more proactive and go off on their own!

Events
Have your daily events. Have weekly events. Have monthly events. Have Quarterly Major Events.  Just dont charge for every single one of them.

Companion Game
A lot of games have a Companion App now, and they usually serve little purpose than to make up a resume to show how hardcore you are about whatever game you're playing.  So how about giving it a purpose by making a side game that can influence the main game?  Do some base building, sending associates out on missions, and playing out another story on top of that using side characters that you dont normally get to play.  I admit i would like a TRPG, but whatever.

Thats my Dollar.  Dont spend it all in one place.

No comments:

Post a Comment