22 September 2010

Australian Warmachine Nationals Weekend

I'm excited for this weekend. This weekend is the Australian Nationals for Warmachine-Hordes. I've even gotten my Press Ganger shirt, complete with lanyard holding a small collection of Privateer Press related Badges, and my Whitemoon Dreams shirt folded up in a corner with my gear waiting to be worn over the weekend. My figures are all laid out in the rather large, and now very heavy, gaming case filled with other nicks and nacks like Reference Cards, Dice, and AOE and Spray templates. There's also gum in there from when I was in the US, because fresh breath is good for the community.

As per tradition when I mention that I'm going to play a game, Jubs pipes up and asks “Are you gonna win?” as he has often forgotten my usual reply of “No.”

“Why not?”
“Because I'm not very good and I don't go to win.”

Which is true. I'm not a bad player, but I'm definitely not going to win the nationals or anything. I'm playing a trio of themed armies. The first is full of guys in what can be easily described as Power Armour, called “Man o' War” (http://enjoymedway.blogspot.com/p/warmachine-goal.html), and all it really does is play a mind game with the enemy who; The second is full of Robots going around and causing havoc where possible and led by a dude in his own Robot Suit; and the last is a farms worth of Pig people with rifles and a tendency to yell out SOUIE! They aren't what you'd call competitive, and that's how I like to play.

What's mostly exciting is the event itself. For one, players from all over Aus are turning up, young and old players, and they're all good to play against. Smack talk will be thrown across the table everywhere, a tradition of our local community, and some of the interstate players who have attended before will join in with us.

For another, this is going to be a massive event and very awesome compared to the others. I've been working up Behind the Scenes with Kel. He's shown me the the scenery to be placed everywhere; the prizes and goodies he has made up; the shenanigans he wants to put up on day two. He's done a fantastic job and I couldn't imagine anyone better to do the job of making it the best Nationals held in Brisbane. (there's my bit of brown nosing for the day)

Sidenote: I just realised I've still got superglue on my pinky-nail. I haven't put a figure together for about a week and a half...

Lastly, there's more Hordes books that are coming out on that weekend that I can browse through in my spare time! The Trollbloods book is coming out and I've always had a soft spot for them in my gamers heart. They're big, they're tough, and they're the comedic relief of Warmachine-Hordes. Yes, I realise that's a big thing to state after saying that I have an army of Pig Men that yell out SOUIE! but it's true!

When Hordes first came out, my friends and I each took our factions and conveniently we were all different. I was with Skorne then, but since then I have lost a large portion of interest. Since then, I have sold most of my stuff (or organised the selling of stuff) and now I'm down to a few things that I want to keep, such as Morghoul, Cyclops Warbeasts, a few Titans and whatever I really want to keep.

I have a small collection of Trollbloods, including the battlebox, a limited edition figure of the Dire Troll Mauler, and a Mercenary unit of Boomhowler and Co. (Who I want to bring back the Stink Bombs). Not much, but just enough to have a good game.



This weekend is going to be pretty sweet. Now to see what the downlow is for Auscon next year... Apparently instead of the Logan Entertainment Centre, they've moved to the RNA showgrounds!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck, both boys are rabid fans of this.

    They love it and love to try and explain it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, if they play Warmachine and not Warhammer, then I may just see them over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately they do play Warhammer, I checked with the one at home at the moment. One is on Hayman and the other due to fly back to Darwin this weekend. So even if the game was the right one, not likely they would be able to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck and happy games mate. Wish I was there (just for the weekend, you know).

    BTW - I happen to have a pretty large pile of Trollbloods for sale. If you really are interested, let me know and I send you the list.

    ReplyDelete