13 September 2012

Advertising Strategies

I've been very excited about Borderlands 2.  So excited that I time how quickly I poo my pants after I say it's name.  3.3 seconds, so far.

But a thought occurred to me and it was a thought that I didn't quite see coming because every thought I have about Borderlands are the various skills and weapons I'll have to play with through the game.  I'd even heard that since I'll be playing Axton, I may have an awesome looking Turret that not only makes it's mark on the battlefield, but may also move with me.

The thought however was about the advertising and the symbolism they make on the cover art of it.  It hadn't occurred to me that seeing a man in a gimp mask, of sorts, holding a pair of finger pistols to his chin and making double the mess across the backdrop might be offensive to some people.

I know that there are a lot of things that Americans take offense to, such as the Australian KFC Ad that was not taken as a racial stereotype where it was advertised, but I thought there would be some sort of problem with the image being on the side of a Bus, or even the previous cover art as well.

I base this on my piss poor knowledge of gang symbols, how various contortioning of the phalanges can mean either someone is part of a particular gang, or that arthritis has taken grasp.  Something I've seen in various shows and movies set in Detroit, crime capital of the world, was placing a finger pistol to someones head, supposedly meaning they're going to kill them sooner or later, possibly after they send a Youtube clip to Australian Advertising companies about their apparently racist overtones.

I'm pretty well aware that over here the finger pistols will mean two things, diddily and squat, but is it thought provoking enough to say "Hey, that might be taking it a bit far. Can you tone it down a little?"

No comments:

Post a Comment