06 September 2011

Gears of War 3



I'm a fan of Gears of War, a game series that has one of the most intriguing semi-apocalyptic settings I've come across (Which aren't many, but still). And the game has worked its way up to it's third game, along with a small set of novels and graphic novels.

The games show primarily the story of two Gears (Soldiers), Marcus Fenix and Dom Santiago, childhood friends fighting in the war for the Coalition of Ordered Governments (COG) against the Locust, humanoid creatures that began a genocide campaign against human life.

The Locust come in a variety of forms, from Simple drones, to Boomers, to Kantus, to Berserkers. Aptly named due to their short temper. On top of that, they have severe myopia, stronger than any Locust of it's size category, and to top it off: It's the Locust Female.

Yes. I know what you're thinking. And yes. Yes they do.

Anyway, I've been following the story as much as I can. I've picked up two of the novels which are brilliant reads, and I own at least one of the Gears of War games (pretty sure I only have #2, but I'll pick up #1 eventually). The downside is that my Xbox 360 is dead, so I can't exactly go back and reminisce about the good ol' days of Gears of war.

What else I like about the game is that it's control system hasn't changed in it's two iterations of the game and I don't think it will in the third. It's a good system and I'm glad the only changes that have been made have been to refine it.

The third game comes out on the 20th September. Three days before I head off to the US. So because my Xbox 360 has died in the arse, and I haven't bothered to get it fixed because it'll cost an arm and a leg since it's out of warranty, I also haven't bothered to pre-order the game.

Scotty, however, is a man who has a backlog of pre-ordered games that stretches past his arm, so naturally he has a pre-order of Gears of War 3. So after work, the day it comes out on the 20th, I'm going to go to Scottys place, sit down and log into my Xbox-Live account, and play the 4-player campaign with Aaron and possibly Richard. If not, it'll be Gavin, Scotts Brother.

But that's my mission. Only a few hours at a time (because we all have work in the mornings) and only a few days before I leave. So the weekend before, I'm going to pack all my clothes and all my gear for the trip to Jenny. And then that Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons/nights, I'm going to play my little heart out with Scotty and Co. Until I get kicked out of his house, of course.

Goddamn this is going to be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment