28 May 2014

I've had it with these motha****ing shake-cams in my motha****ing fight scenes

I wanted to show Jenny the first Captain America film before we went to see it, but there is some sort of complication at the Library which was, and still is, stopping that plan.  But since it's apparently the last week of showing, we caved in and went anyway and I filled in Jenny on the missing info.

The next day, it became available. Annoying.

The beginning of the movie was fun.  That entire scene on the freight boat?  Landing on it, knocking out or throwing overboard all the henchmen?  Very fun.  But the boss fight is where it began pissing me off.

The scene was set: Captain America in a hand to hand fight with Georges Batroc.  It was set like a Fighting Game, where they essentially are fighting on a 2D plane against each other.  But then the Director fucked it up by hiring Michael J Fox to hold the camera for every fight scene throughout the movie.

Is it really too much to ask for a steady camera during a fight scene?  I know it's too much to ask for actors to do a perfect fight scene, it's inefficient spending potentially days trying to get one perfect take of choreographed action.  Nobody is perfect, and that's fair.  But this fucking shake cam is killing me.  I want to see the blows, the moves, the throws, the weapon tricks, everything, without getting a fucking headache trying to follow it.

I'll move onto the writing now.  The first film was fantastic.  Every line was spot on, either motivating you or making you laugh.  There was so little of that.  There were badass moments, and a funny casual conversation between the Cap and Kristen Stew-I mean- Black Widow about getting him a date, but otherwise the movie took itself far too seriously.  C'mon, get some more smart ass comments in there.  Don't constantly promote his Badass features, like his inability to let water shoot up his arse when he pencil dives from a few hundred feet.

The story however was very cool, and I really wish I had been watching Agents of SHIELD to keep up with the "Hail Hydra" shenanigans, moreso because of my friend Lucas who forfeited a "You told me so" when it began gaining traction.

The few twists that were in there were great.  I went "Holy Shit" when they revealed Zola.  I also breathed a sigh of relief when they did the sensible thing and just let him continue talking after the Cap punched out a Monitor, instead of letting the whole system just pack it up, as Hollywood find wanting.

Actually, that's what I would say is wrong with the film.  It's a Hollywood Film, not a Marvel film.  They did this, they did that, and made it like a really long sidestory huge action episode of Agents of SHIELD, rather than a Captain America Film.

No comments:

Post a Comment