17 May 2010

Developing Internet Fame

Waking up like a bear with a sore head is what I felt like on Saturday. I have the flu and it hit like a Semi-trailer to a Roo crossing the road. I was not a pleasant sight, even to myself. Good thing I didn't go to the bathroom and check the mirror first thing. I would've cracked my face.

I spent the better part of the morning revelling in my own disgusting illness before clambering out of bed to talk to jenny, while Dee's Brother and Father assembled an Ikea cupboard for her while she was at work. It was a good morning, but it was not to last. At around 1 I got off the call to Jenny so I could shear off what facial pubes I had and have a shower.

Fun Fact: I used aftershave (OMG!) and found it to be a better smell than the sheared stubble which smells like it's burnt.

This is where I made my way to The Mana Bar, a Video Gaming bar based in Brisbane where I was to meet up with mates of mates and a couple of Burgers. Bart, a good mate of Kel and Co, was in town and he suggested the Mana Bar as a good place to start off his day after landing in BNE with his partner Adelle. We met up there and began to play. Other attendees included Greg, Eva and Michael, Havock, Simon, and Natalie the Spy (Whom Havock has now dubbed Spanky), Toni, Abe, and Greg. And there was someone else, but with memory like water through a sieve I tend to forget these things. Particularly names.

It was great fun playing Mario Kart, parading around as a Koopa Troopa in the baby booster and careening off the edges of the circuits and into the abyss below. Then there was Bomberman. I've never played it before but it was easy to learn. Stay away from the bombs which knock out destroyable blocks next to you along with whomever is standing next them. And you can't move through them either, so some players may get trapped between bombs or blocks. Like I did. Three times in a row. At the beginning of the level.

The last game we played was Mortal Kombat Vs DC Comics. Greg was first to play and anyone who knew Greg well enough, which was the better part of the present group, knew he was going to choose Green Lantern. But what I found to be the coolest part of this table was the Arcade Stick and Buttons controller!



As it crept later into the evening there was mention of dinner and since my only ambassador of consumable items was the squat pimply guy they send to the shit jobs by convincing him that it's going to make a breakthrough in his career along with the guy with that chiselled jawline and the clean pressed suit and always forks off the work to his accomplice because he's there to look good, AKA: The Sleven Travellers Pie and a Packet of Chips, I was easily convinced into organising something a little more satisfying.

So we left and went straight to the Arts Theatre to eat at the Tibetan Place next door and had the $25 Buffet. Started off with Entrees of Beef Dumplings, Spring Rolls, Bakora, and something else that I can't remember. Water through a sieve, y'see. The Main course was a large bowl of white rice, shared a simple set of Fish, Beef and Chicken Curries that were passed up and down the tables. The beef was certainly the best one.

As the first bell tolled for everyone to pour into their seats of the Brisbane Arts Theatre, our troupe entered the small promenade and weaved through the crowd to collect our tickets and watch the Final showing of the Tasmanian Babes Fiasco.

Once again, it was a great show. This time, to add a little flavour to the several herbs, spices, staples and tube socks, John Birmingham came out just after Intermission to survey the stage, light up a bong and toddle back down to his seat in the front row.

Back to the garden of the Brisbane Theatre, the audience enjoyed conversing with each other about the play and with the actors to show their appreciation. Until a voice rang out into the crowd, bellowing from the owner.

Now were my memory nothing like water through a sieve, heck if it were poorly whipped cream through a sieve it'd be better, I would be able to quote the rather humorous fellow who made a commemoration to Simon Bedak and John Birmingham. Last year the allegedly* made a suggestion that if a commemoration were ever to be made to them, it would be for a toilet. And so, their commemoration had been dedicated to the Brisbane Arts Theatre Urinal. A fresh metal chain was to be placed onto the water reserve, and a plaque placed outside of pissing range above the aforementioned Urinal.

* - I've always wanted to say that. Makes me feel like some sort of Journo.

The night was not done. Oh no, Bart and Adelle, Eva and Michael, and Greg were up and about and ready to feast on dessert. And what was their war cry into the night? TO THE PANCAKE MANOR! I tousled about and said my hi's and goodbyes before heading off into the night with the delighted troupe.

One thing we forgot to account, however, was how packed the Pancake Manor is. When we arrived, we asked for a table and it was another Half Hour wait before we would've taken our seat. This is at Midnight, so Pancake Manor is quite popular in our little nick of the woods.

We parted ways, saying goodbyes and "What a pleasure to meet you" and I made for the Taxi Rank outside Irish Murphys so I could make my way home. Everyone lived southside, with their own rides home, so it was a little bit of a lonely ride. C'est la vie.


The morning brought on it's own set of surprises. I began the morning talking with Jenny and we discussed the nights entertainment, and I informed her of everyones curiosity about when she's coming over and when I'm going there. I made her smile, and that's what's important to me.

Then, as she began to drift off, she made one last check to Facebook. Lo' and behold what the taste buds of her retina delighted in.



Throughout the day/evening of the Mana Bar, they took photos. That photo was during a game of Bomberman, where I repeatedly committed hari kari at the beginning of the Level. Throughout the Sunday more and more comments were loaded onto Facebook, the ever growing popularity of it all was approved by many. There were links to an fro, the owners Tweeted and Shared to their friends on Facebook on how awesome the photo is.

And then Guy contacted me. Guy is one of the owners. He friend requested me. Then he said about putting the photo on a weekly poster.

I said yes.

"And on the Seventh Day God made Humour;
And it was Good."

5 comments:

  1. omg I love you. You are HIGHlarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were 2 Michael's one was Mick (the one with me) and Adelle's friend I believe the other one was went by Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, damn and double damn. Lousy cold making me feel like I'd gone 10 rounds with Tyson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now Kelvin, is this Mike Tyson's Punch Out Tyson, or The Hangover Tyson?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good writeup good sir! You covered your illness well, and gave not a skerrick of an impression of being a goo-monster.

    ReplyDelete