05 May 2010

So I've had a big week.

Thursday night is regularly reserved for hanging out with Kelvin and some of his boys, boys such as Humphrey, Greg, Agro, and Draco (Sp?). Well it was Gregs Birthday on Monday and his Birthday usually falls around the May long weekend. And, per tradition written over the past decade or two, a movie is released on the Thursday nearby.

This year is Iron Man 2. And to further follow tradition we went and saw it in Imax: Front Row Centre. A 6 story tall playing of the film in more than 120 degrees of vision.
Fun fact: Iron Man 2 doesn't come out until this week or next week in Kalamazoo.

It started off with a fun few drinks at the bar across the road, with Greg showing patronage to Iron Man by flashing his Gadgets (Photos will be up later) while mates slowly encroached and joined before the actual film. I even came across Eva, who I hadn't seen since Waggles left for Canadia, eh.
I believe my opinion of the movie has been expressed.


Friday was very fun. About a week or two beforehand, I was talking to Jenny and she passes on a note that left me a little curious.
"Chaz wants to know if you're coming to his dinner party?"
"What? Chaz is inviting me?"

Well, how could I say no? I just got somewhat singled out to come, and I was keen anyway. Well I didn't realise it was on until Jenny mentioned it, but I would've been keen anyway.

So come the night and I didn't want to go home to zillmere only to come straight back out to get to the Venue on time. So I pondered over to the Mirasoul straight after work and got there at about half 5ish, picked up a schooner of Bulmers and sat down to play with my phone for a bit more, texting those who would probably reply.

Time passed and the first of the pack arrived: Domestic Daze, or as I've come to affectionately know her in my head: Little Sue. She walked in with her drink (Buggered if I know what it was) and we began having a good ol' chat. Twas like talkin' to me mum, it was.
*Cough* Accents aside, she showed off her blue/purple sequinned shoes and i compared hers with mine, which are falling apart at every seem and have literally warn through two parts of the soul on each shoe.
"I bet they're real Cons too."
"Nup. $20 from Kmart."
They've lasted a good 2-3 years now.

During this time, Chaz has turned up and offered some wine and we had an early cheers to having a good night. Slowly but surely others turned up. Beeso, John, Greybeard, Chaz's wife (I forgot her name, but I remembered that she was Argentinian!), Aunty Quokka and Partner (I forgot his name too, but he's a really nice guy), Monster Yuppy and Girl Clumsy, and another lady that turned up but I've really forgotten her name. Her and John were good friends though.
Fun Fact: Aunty Quokka is Hot! Not as hot as Jenny, but credit where credit is due.

Food came out and it was fantastic. We had to dance around some pieces here for Little Sue as she doesn't eat Pepper, and Cheese just disagrees with Chaz like a Bull to Red Cloth. I was entertained by the Aparagus wrapped in pastry though. Really tasty. The things you can do with pastry, honestly.

The night continued with entertaining chats from all and, as parties at a pub do, they wind down. And it came down to Me, Chaz, Chaz's wife and Johns Friend who's name still eludes me. We wandered up to the Brisbane Arts theatre to say goodbye to Nat and mingle with people here and there.

As the cast came out, which was before the audience did, Arian popped out and saw me.
"Hey Medway."
"Hey Arian."
...
"What are you doing here?"
I lol'd and told him the tale of Chazmeister and Co and how we like to visit people in the night to enjoy tomfoolery and hijinks.

So after a bottle of water to rehydrate I caught a taxi home, sent a few messages to Jenny to make her smile during her lunch (Boy did I make her smile that day) and then retire into slumber for...


Saturday was a day for gaming. Originally planned for returning a postal stuff-up, I went to Blind Pig with Richard in Tow as driver.
That doesn't sound right, but it's true.
Fun fact: Blind Pig is a gaming club, and not a country event where you get a hot polka, sear out some hog sockets and see which one can kick the shit out of the other one before turning them into dinner.

I brought what was in my Games Case (which I don't think I've posted a photo of on here, but may do one day) and figured that along with returning the figure that I didn't ask for but got anyway, I'd have a few tests of the Man-O-War list I have at a 35pt level.
Disclaimer: If I start talking Nerd to you, which I probably will for the next few paragraphs, please skim to something you may understand. But do stop for the fun facts!

So two games were pulled off using the following figures
  • Epic Irusk
  • Berserker
  • MoW Bombardiers (5)
  • MoW Demo Corps (5)
  • MoW Shock Troopers (5)
  • MoW Drakhun + Dismount
First game was against Alan. Alan is a Smart man, a very Tactically minded man. I've had very few games where I've won, but more often than not I give him a Hard Match. I make him pull out many tricks. This was one of those games.
  • Epic Kaya, with Laris
  • Pureblood Warpwolf
  • Feral Warpwolf
  • Feral Warpwolf
  • Argus
  • Argus
He was underpointed to start, with 3 points under which I realise now after calculating it, but he still had a hard fight. We had a fairly open playing field, with a few linear obstacles here and there to clamber over. I had Demo Corps on one flank to run about, and Shocktroopers to follow up with their high Armour to defend the Bombardiers and Irusk who was close behind, which the Berserker and the Drakhun followed up the right flank.

Needless to say, Alan was a little worried. So he cast a spell which prevented himself from being targetted effectively (Stealth for those playing at home) and moved over into a corner away from the Demo Corps (who are the Hard Hitters).

I figured he was juuust close enough. The Pureblood Warpwolf was a little out in the open. The Argus was closer. So I cast a spell to instantly push the Berserker 3" Forward so that I could try and get him into charge range of the Pureblood. With a little premeasuring from Irusk (Yes, this is legal gaming folks) I found I was just short of the Warpwolf. But not of the Argus. So move in for the charge, miss on the boosted first attack and hit on the second boosted Attack.

The Berserker has a rule which means that if he's given Focus, you roll a d6 and if your roll is equal or less than the number of points of focus then the Berserker EXPLODES. Usually when it's fully loaded, the Berserker has 50/50 chance of exploding. Best part of it exploding is that it still tears the living shit out of whatever was near it.

This was where Alan pulled out a Run Away Tactic. He uses Kayas feat and moves out to the other side of the board. The Warbeasts disarm the explosive device, normally called a Berserker, by tearing him a new arsehole. Then as they finish their activations, they teleport to where Kaya is.
Simple tactic. One thing stuffed him up, which was the Drakhun Counter-Charging his Pureblood Warpwolf, but it still didn't stop him from eliminating the Berserker. And he dismounted the Drakhun too!

My turn pushed further forward into Alans ground, pushing him further into a corner. Some Demo Corps got a few swings in, and this is where Alan learnt to respect Epic Irusk again. Warrior Figures within his Command Range gain Tough: Roll a d6. If the result is 5-6, then the figure is knocked down and on 1 wound.
I got plenty of tough rolls to aggravate him a little.

The next couple of turns was a slow wear and tear on both sides. Man-O-War were either dying or dropping to 1 health, and Warbeasts were slowly being diced into little doggy treats. Eventually it came to the final turn. I had a Bombardier, the Dismounted Drakhun, and a few Shocktroopers here and there and a Demo Corp that just wouldn't die, while he was toting Laris, an Argus and a Feral Warpwolf which had a bonus to Strength and Defence (Forced Evolution).

My plan was simple. Irusk places down an AOE that allows him and his Friendlies to ignore the linear Obstacle while moving.
Fun fact: I have a new found respect for Coles Orange Juice.

The Bombardier moves out of the way to try and attack Laris. The Bombardier hits and gets a Critical: Shred off, which allows him another attack. After a good damage roll, Critical: Shred triggers again. After a comment of "You can't kill Laris by yourself" from Alan, the Bombardier missed with his third attack.
This is where Irusk Charges Kaya. He gets in two attacks and smacks her twice but with bad damage rolls, sadly. I knew it was over, but I was going to make a fight out of it. The Demo Corp stood up and took a couple of swings at the Argus... and Missed. The Shock Troopers charged Laris and eliminated him from the table. The Drakhun attempted a swing at Kaya, but failed MIserably, and was subsequently knocked down as Kaya did an immediate attack back and forced a Tough Roll on him.

In the end, Kaya ended up Destroying the Bombardier to leave room for the Feral Warpwolf to come into contact with Irusk and show him what Doggy treats really look like.

That was a fun game. I would've been boned if he had something else in there.

The second game was against Rory.
  • Vladimir Tzepesci, the Dark Champion
  • Beast-09
  • War dog
  • Doom Reavers
  • Great Bears of Gallowswood
  • Kayazy Assassins (10)
  • Kayazy Assassin Underboss
  • Eiryss, Angel of Retribution
  • Manhunter
  • Manhunter
It was basically a white wash. After his 2nd turn, I had about a half dozen MoW on the board and Irusk. It was coming to the end of the afternoon and I couldn't figure any way to succeed, so I said "right. Your rolls are too good. Good game Rory.

That was my weekend in a nutshell. It was fun and now I need to sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my effing god you are so adorable. SO ADORABLE. You make that Dakota Fanning look like a washed up day hooker.

    ReplyDelete