24 August 2010

Fark me

I go away for three weeks and jeez things have changed. To start, there's a house near the train station. It decided to get raised. It was already a 2 story house, but he needed it raised a few more feet. That took me by surprise on the wander back from the station.

Nextly there's the house at the first corner down from my place. It had a yard that was full of trees, lucious and plump. You could hardly see the house through them and the privacy fence they had going on. Well now they've uprooted all those trees and now there's fuck all in that yard, after looking over the boards. Not sure why they didn't want to

Then I discovered that the footpath near my house has been repaved. That's not too bad. It was a raggedy old footpath, so no harm getting it fixed.

Lastly, I finally get home and see the sign out the front of my house: FOR SALE *If this sign is damaged or removed, there will be a Formal Investigation*.

Yeah, fan-fucking-tastic. Although it can come as a bit of a relief because I've been wanting to move out. The roomies need more time to themselves. Yes, I have been away for 3 weeks, giving them plenty of time to possibly sort their shit out, but I guess they just haven't done anything except panic that they have to move early.

The Real Estate say that if we want to move out before our lease is up, they are willing to pay for Removalists. This is good, though personally I can use my Ute, and I don't have that much in the way of my own gear. To boot, mum has offered room at her place so I can bunk in with her. But I don't want to stay back at mums for too long, as I'll feel a little too cramped in there. I have enough gear to fill up my own space, but I also have gear that should not be handled by little hands.

And my mum regularly has my niece and nephews over. So all of my modelling gear? I have no idea what to do with. I wouldn't be able to put it in my room because I won't have anywhere to really put them. I can't put them in the sewing room, because there's no room. And I can't just leave it sitting around, else the youngins run around picking it up and dropping it when someone yells out “NO”. That'll be a lot of hassle I don't want to deal with.

But it will have to come to that for at least a little while. Then there's my computer! Where will I put that?!
“oh you can just use mine” My Mother would say.
“uh, no. I play computer games mum. And sadly, the computers that you have had the business of acquiring have all died in the arse one way or another.”
“Okay, well we'll both just use yours then.”
“Uh, no. I can't take the chance that it is actually you that is making them die in the arse. Sorry mum.”

So I will have to stick with my little laptop, which is doing really well thank you very much. I've been dribbling shit over and over again, and I've even started my own Warmachine/Hordes blog (Introduction post this Friday) to match wits with my Monsterpocalypse Blog. It will probably be a bit more interesting, especially since I won't run out of subject matter any time soon. I just hope I don't reminisce about the first Edition Warmachine too much. That's become a bad habit of mine.

With coming home from Gencon, I've come back with a number of toys. Particularly a Pig Army that I'm excited about. I've got almost all the bits and bobs I want, and I've assembled 2 of the Warbeasts so I can use them in the Australian Nationals. It's a cool list with giant bipedal pigs, one of which has a clockwork ticker (called an Aggression Dial) and has robotic arms.

But I also picked up some books. Jenny and I went to a book store while I was there and we picked out some books for each other. I grabbed her the Tiffany Aching books for her to read. I know she will get a laugh out of those three. She picked me up a few funny books, like “What is your Poo telling you?”, “Cyanide and Happines – I'm giving you the finger” and I can't remember the third one. But I picked up three books for myself, particularly two novels based on Gears of War, and “The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy”. I've been told this is a weird but good set of books, so I picked it up. Enjoying the movie helped.

I wanted to read it on the way back to Aus, but I spent the 20 something hours reading “Hat Full of Sky” instead. But I've gotten into it now, and it's pretty funny. I can't quite get a grasp of the voice though. Usually if I'm reading something with dry Humour, I get a Stephen Fry voice run through my head. But this is different. I'll figure it out, I'm sure.

Also, out of habit, I’m trying to pick out the way he writes, which so far seems like he's rambling away on stage like a one man band trying to explain that he was doing opera. While I was reading Birmos Tassie Babes, it was a guy sitting across from you in the beer garden and holding a pint in hand. Actually, I woudln't be surprised if I wrote it doing exactly that.
Pratchett gives me a wonderful cartoon story that is either voiced over by him or Stephen Fry. This is my head, and the both of them have good voices. But he builds and builds and builds and lets down slightly before building again. It's a rollercoaster ride. Of Catherine Jinks, i've read the pagan chronicles, a 4 book series set during the Crusades. Its a good imagery of the time and era. Lian Hearn (Tales of the Otori - medieval japanese settings) gives a slightly mystical view of the world.

But Doug Adams is still growing on me. I'll figure him out. I am sure I will.

3 comments:

  1. I've got that C&H book. It's pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen Fry works wonderfully for the Hitchhiker's series as he did the voice of the book in the movie. He sounded surprising like the guy who did it for the TV and radio series. Oh, and books are MUCH better than the movie.

    There's a new Tiffany book coming out in September. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A new Tiffany book? And I didn't know? Oh, Waily, Waily, Waily!

    Thanks for the heads-up, Kelvin.

    Medway, if you find you like Hitchhikers, you'll really enjoy Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.

    ReplyDelete