10 August 2010

GenJencon - Days 4 and 5

Today began as a boring day. I went off to the Convention hall and picked up a few bits and bobs that people demanded over the intarwebatrons (Damn you Toby and Disco *Shakes fist*) before coming back to the Hotel to assemble my models while Scotty and Aaron dozed off into oblivion.

I also got to see the guys from "Least I Could Do" and yes: Larz de Souza looks EXACTLY like his Caricature. His beard may be a little thicker.

On the flight over, my figures were poorly handled on the flight over, so when I opened my bag to find whether or not my figures were intact... well the majority thereof were not. And so today was preparing for tomorrow, and assembling my figures as well as possible.

And luckily that was the case. I was very successful and now they should be pretty much set after being left alone for a good 12+ hours.

By the time I was done, I began talking with Jenny. I love Jenny and she was having a bad morning. While she was in court, a dude sitting next to her put his hand down his pants and played with himself 3 times. Now, it wasn't because of her (necessarily) because he was sitting there and slapping himself and doing other rather odd things, but it really rattled Jennys cage. So during her lunch hour, I spent the time chatting with her over the phone, and hoped to cheer her up. I believe I was successful.

The creepy thing was that I was slowly pacing a patch of grass at an intersection, and i didn't expect anyone to come and bother me because I was on the phone. But I turned around and all of a sudden, there's Scott the creepy bastard. Suddenly turned up with a hotdog or something, just waiting for me to finish my conversation with Jenny.

From that point, after letting jenny get back to work, Scotty and I went back into the convention to have a wander about, because Scotty had been playing games all day so he didn't have much of a chance to explore.

The day rolled on and my knees were getting weak. The ached and groaned so I went back to the Hotel to give them a rest, and I drifted off to sleep for about an hour, maybe more. It'll probably adjust better when I get to Jennys place next week.

But tonight was the plan for the PP Dinner. Jason and I prepared and caught the hotel cab over and when we got there... we weren't sure what to do. We played a few games of pool, and had a few drinks to loosen up. The pool was entertaining because there was a significant slope, so there were a few shots that were just a little bit ridiculous.

Unfortunately, halfway through the night, I dropped my phone. And it was the last straw for my phone. The keyboard has completely fallen off, and it was really not cool at the time because Jenny was having a bad time as well. I really wanted to get back in contact with her and to top it off, when I got back to the Hotel i couldn't access the net! I'm lucky this morning I can access it so I've been sending her messages all morning.

We met a few awesome people from PP. Polar Bear considers me a bit of a Rock Star so we got a photo together and he introduced us to a few more people here and there. I'm having trouble remembering names, except for the Really funny guy, Trigger. That's his forum name because I've forgotten his actual name.

Jason and I did end up with some free stuff though. We both got a free Skorne book, which is annoying because I already bought my copies thinking that I'll get a copy of Primal, and I got a free Whitemoon Dreams shirt and Jason got Mark 1 Gold Cards.

Speaking of Whitemoon Dreams, some of the development staff were at the Party and they gave us a private Screening of the Warmachine Video Game. It looks pretty good. I've been comparing the gameplay to God of War, where it's a bunch of button mashing over and over, but it still looks interesting enough to make for a good game. At worst, it's still a game set within the Iron Kingdoms.

Afterwards, Jen, Trigger, Polar Bear, Jason and I toddled back down to the arena to find Scotty and Aaron still playing Warmachine/Hordes until the wee hours of the night before Jason and I eventually decided to turn in.

The next morning, Scotty and Aaron didn't really come back to the Hotel. They actually stayed at the iron arena, because it goes on until the end of the Convention. Yes, 24 hours a day over the 4 days.


To make repayment to the Privateer Press crew for hosting a pretty sweet party, I had to do a 4 hour shift of game demoing. It was good fun, showing people the ropes and giving them demos on how the game works by... well actually giving them a game and letting the players take home a copy of the quickstart rules. It started off pretty good, people were coming and going, but by the last hour it just suddenly went dead. So me and a couple of other guys were standing there twiddling our thumbs.

At about 1, just before the dead part of the shift, Aaron came to me to inform that he had been playing for near on 24 hours. He began talking in a purposely quick accent, muffling his words with his inanity, and he informed that Scotty had reached his 100 Skull limit. You see, playing Iron Arena, you earn "Skulls" as you play games or do certain things within Privateer Press, such as play a game under a scenario, play a demo over at the booth, or go down on the Goblin King.

I'll explain that last one later.

But Scotty looked over the prizes and found 2 he was actually interested in getting. The first was a Mega he chose from a pile they had. He wanted a Mega Defender X for his Monsterpocalypse set because he doesn't have one yet, or he could save up and get a Hordes Print of his favourite faction.

After discovering that there was no Defender X, he took the time and effort to play enough games to earn enough "Skulls" to get his print. And he played through about 25-30 games so he could get a Lylyth Print. He had good fun, and he slept through for about 18 hours afterwards.

My day otherwise was spent having my handful of games for the whole weekend. While I would've liked to have played more games, I just got excited about everything else and didn't bother getting too far into it. But I had 3 games, one with Jason, another with Aaron and one with a guy who I've completely forgotten the name of, which is sad. I remember him by face though.

Naturally I lost all three games, but everyone was quite intimidated by the pilings of Man-O-War standing in front of them. I even used Epic Irusk's feat to pull off a good turn to stall. Jason and I had the game we owed each other, after over a year. Twas a good game, and I eliminated one unit of Revenant Crew without even trying, but I admit I had a little trouble with the second lot. Stupid Quartermaster being stuck behind a bunch of trees.

The day went by, and shenanigans were had. Polar_Bear, Trigger, jason and I laughed at the Goblin King, knowing that what has been gobbled will never been ungobbled.

You see, the Goblin King has a particular charm to him, and he sits on his throne at the entrance to the gaming rooms. And as people approach, they see him grinning on his throne at the little plebeians that are passing him. But occasionally, he will mentally pick someone out and they will do a service for him.
It's good be the king.


Later that night, talking with Jen from the Privateer Press Booth, we were introduced to who I didn't expect to be Scalpel from England, and I didn't know that it was him until later the next day. I was completely unaware at the time, and I just figured he was a really nice Pom, same with his mate (Who I've forgotten the name of. it's been a few days since then, leave me alone.) Jen, Jason, David Carl, Jess Carl, the englishmen, and two more PP Staff went out to dinner. The 9 of us wandered over to the RAM to see if we could get a table, but unfortunately it was packed to the Brim. So we wandered further on and found the Hard Rock Cafe, waited for a little while which I used the time to call Jenny (my phone bill will be huge this month btw), before we went inside and chatted the night away. The Pom that wasn't Scalpel decided to have some fun though and ordered up a B52.

Never heard of a B52 before but I was willing to try it. Because it was a shot, I thought I'd leave it for a bit and just join him by starting with a Jagerbomb. But we had the B52's and it was really nice. Strong, but nice. Tasted like Caramel.

It was a good night, and we headed back to the Convention and I had a game with Aaron before going home and passing out quite nicely.

Turns out Scott and Jason were in the same bed too. Jason was the big spoon.

1 comment:

  1. You certainly know how to tell a story, Medway.

    ReplyDelete