24 October 2010

What was in the box

"Time for my closeup, Mister Deville" on Twitpic

A good six year ago, and I was learning to play table top games, particularly Warhammer 40k. Now I'm not a big fan of 40k, because frankly I'm lazy and making an army seems like a butt-tonne of work. I mean even a Necron army seems like lots of work, with having about 21-41 models in 600pts (I can't remember if Warriors can come in units of 10 or 20). Yes, I am quite lazy.

There was one army that I really enjoyed because they were just goofy: Orks. I was tempted to join the ranks of Orks players, and wanted to start off with a bang. So I bought a £200 Gargantuan Squiggoth (it was 200 quid at the time).

It was big, and it was fun. But I just didn't get off my arse and get it assembled or anything. So six years down the track, moving house and dusting off the box, and thinking to myself “Hell, it's about time”. So over last weekend, I worked my way to assembling the awesome model, Howda and all.

It was a struggle at first, because I couldn't get the cap off my glue. Somehow I'd knocked it over and it slowly seeped out and stuck itself from the inside. Luckily I didn't lose too much glue. I even ended up pouring it out of the bottle itself, but that was a bad idea. Way too much glue going everywhere. So much glue even, that when it had all dried up there was this dangly bit hanging from underneath its neck, made from dried glue.

If the head falls off, because I believe there's a large gaping space between the head and the neck, I'll have to get green stuff if the head falls off.

The tail was the most annoying. Trying to keep it there for about two hours without it gluing and holding of it's own accord and having the sharp pointy bits dig into my hands was really not very comfortable. So after giving up, I realised I could just keep it in place by using parts of the Howda.

The Howda wasn't too much of a hassle. It came in 6 pieces: The main carriage, 3 side balconies and 2 front seats. It's plenty of room for the 20 or so Orks that it usually carries.

Now to get some weapons on it. I'm thinking of using the Gun Boars Cannon as a Lobba or a Kannon.

Success!  Squiggoth fully assembled with detachable Howdah! on Twitpic

No comments:

Post a Comment