06 June 2011

The year is 1870. The World is at War.


Who's that ugly bastard in the beanie?


Saturday started off way too early. It was 6am and I began pressing the sleep button my phone. Eventually by 6:30 I had gotten up and toddled off to the Bus Stop so I could make my way to Kels. The plan didn't go quite as I'd hoped. Got to the second bus stop that should have taken me to Kels, but I had to wait 40 minutes before it turned up. With having to get to Kels by 8am, and the bus arriving 10 minutes before 8, I decided to take a taxi.

So I crossed the road and called up B&W Cabs to pick me up from the Caltex on Beams Road, Carseldine. Twenty Minutes later, no Taxi. Another call ordered in the next cab, making sure it was going to my Caltex since there was another one in the same suburb on Gympie Road. Fifteen minutes later, still no driver. A third call confirmed it was just down the road, and then I was off to Kels to go play Dystopian Wars at Blind Pig.

Dystopian Wars is a Steampunk Wargame that covers sea, land and air (not necessarily at the same time, fighting with a large arsenal of vehicles from battleships and double decker Aircraft Carriers, to Tanks and Giant Robot Walkers, to Air Fortresses and Blimps with Aircraft Decks. These examples are just from one faction, the Federated States of America.

It's a fun game and I spent the better part of the day playing it on the weekend. It was a battlebox based game, with full upgrades and no plane tokens. That's fair enough. My Federated States of America should have a fun time KICKING ARSE!

Sadly, I thought I was prepared. I remembered my models. I remembered my dice. I was not prepared. I did not remember to cut out my templates. I did not remember to bring a tape measure.

So for the better part of the day, I was shared tape measures and templates. Aside from such asshattery, it was a pretty awesome day. I tore apart my first opponent, my second gunned the crap out of my Battleship (Yes, he sunk my Battleship alright), and my third opponent just ripped shreds off me.

Overall it was a fun day though. And I got myself some more toys as well. I picked up the Aircraft Carrier, which is a Fkn huge model; and I picked up a battlebox of Land Forces, containing tanks and an Amphibious Landship.

Luckily I got the box for free because when John, the event Organiser, gave a random draw prize with $50 give cards for Phoenix Forge, a small company that comes down to Blind Pig every month and sets up a stall, and if there's an event he supports he'll provide gift vouchers.

Now I have about another dozen models for my Dystopian Wars army and I'm liking it. Aaron was even convinced to play because after jumping into Firestorm Armada with an Army for Aesthetics, and feeling quite Impotent against Scott with his model choices, Aaron had interrogated me about Dystopian Wars and what Army would be best suited for himself.

I may have convinced him to play a Prussian Empire Force. And hopefully we'll play a small game sometime during the week.

What I like about Dystopian Wars is that it's a nice Dice Rolling game. While Warmachine has all these various stats that count towards various attacks that add up and everything. Dystopian Wars only requires you to turn up particular faces, and then count those faces. The only numbers you have to follow by are the volume of dice you're allowed to roll and what range band you're at which adjusts that volume of dice.

A very fun day had by all. Especially Luke from Phoenix Forge, who couldn't tell who I was at first and had to ask me to make sure he was right. Oh how we laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment