14 June 2011

What a week

So this week has been full of ups and downs.

Started off Wednesday night last week. Friend of mine called up bawling her eyes out because her partner had broken up with her out of the blue. That wasn't a nice end to the night, especially since it was one of those irrational breakups which was sorted out the next night.

Then Thursday morning, I get a random Facebook message.
"hay matt just wanted to let you know that nanny is in the prince charles hospital with cancer and it dosnt look like she has to long left"
I contacted Mum and Taleah and let them know, who tried to work out a time to go up and visit Nanny, the closest thing we have to a Grandmother. We couldn't do it that night, and we ended up planning to go up Monday because Mum wanted to go as a family and Taleah was working all that weekend.

Come Friday afternoon, Kel, Tash and Alex were sick so I didn't want to be a bother for them so I went home instead, and came home to a rather grumpy mother.
”Your father's back in town.”
Surprising. Apparently he was down to sign whatever documents for his Superannuation. Good timing considering Nannys condition, though more could be said about him.

So that's all pretty much the downhill side of it. The upside was finally getting a chance to play Dystopian Wars with Aaron. He's been wanting to play Dystopian Wars for a while and has been “Ants in his Pants” excited. It was funny though, he had the entire advantage over me with his Battleship, a couple of Frigates and a Sky Fortress standing over my slightly damaged Double-Decker Carrier and Battleship, along with a couple of Tiny Flyers.

Then a squadron of 5 Fighter Planes flew in and, for a fairly accurate comparison, went all Luke Skywalker on the Hindenberg.

The best part of the weekend was that it was the weekend before Mine and Jenny's 18 month! I love Jenny and I'm very lucky to have her with me. It was good having her to talk to, especially with the recent news with Nanny.

Come Monday morning, the very morning everyone planned on going to the hospital, news came that Nanny had passed the night before.

I was disappointed that I didn't get to see her before she passed on. I haven't seen her in far too many years. Mostly because I'm a lazy shit. So I feel really bad about that.

But I feel pissed off too. How do we find out about Nannys condition so late? Shouldn't we have been told more than a week ago? I don't think even Mum knew that Nanny had cancer! And Mum usually keeps in contact with everyone!

And of all people, I heard it from her (biological) Granddaughter who lives in Rockhampton! Nannys was living with her daughter up in Caboolture/Morayfield last I knew, and I would've thought they would contact me or Taleah in the same fashion sooner.

Okay, so I'm not as easy to find since I don't go by my actual name on Facebook, but I was still found and strangely the first to be contacted. So I don't get that.

But things are looking up. Her funeral is on Friday, so I'm going to wear the suit Poppy gave me. Hopefully it isn't rotten or anything. I took it to the drycleaners long ago and kept it in the plastic since. Handmade suit, really nice (if a little itchy).

I also have some other news, but I gotta wait until probably late next week until I find out the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment