25 July 2011

Board Games

Collaborating with other Companies is not unfamiliar for Game Developers. Tokens and Measuring tapes are very popular. Games Cases are magnificent things to pick up, and the case I have for my Warmachine stuff is the best investment that I never made (Friend bought it for me). I'm even considering getting an expansion bay to pack some of my other games.

While browsing the Mercs Minis forums, the developers announced products for their game. A game Bag developed by Battle Foam, the same guys who made the Warmachine/Hordes Case, and Tokens and 2D game maps by Gale Force 9. Made of Super Durable, Wet Erasable, Full Color Vinyl, the single sided maps look absolutely fantastic.

I had an Epiphany though.

I thought back to board games, which had thick cardboard with similar Vinyl stuck on over the top. Then the cardboard would fold over a few times in a particular pattern very nicely to fit back into the box without a complaint.

I've seen it happen a few times, not just into halves, but into Quarters. And I bet, if done right, one could fold them up into sixths. Which would be convenient for Mercs because their boards are 2x3 feet. Easy to pack, and you can make it double sided so instead of selling two individual maps you can sell one map with individual sides.

That's one thing one could say that Monsterpocalypse got right. They got double sided maps, with different maps each side, but they aren't cardboard. I think they're probably the same material as the Mercs Maps.

But that's just my opinion though. Packaged like a Board Game would be cool and would make travelling a little easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment