13 July 2011

Kinda is but isn't a Game Warning? But it's in THREE DEEEEEEEEEEEE

Mum doesn't skimp out when she goes to get something. I think I've mentioned that before about Mums new TV. How it was about a grand and a half and she got two Tellys for herself? Yeah, I forgot a few details. Particularly on Mums 42” telly and how it was 3D.

Y'see, I asked mum if she was watching anything in particular last night. Luckily not, so I asked if I could hog the TV for the night and finish off Killzone 3 since I was borrowing it from a mate, and I've had it for long enough that I should probably give it back.

While I was playing, I voiced a thought:
“I wonder if this tv is 3D capable...”
“Yes it is!”
“What?”
So I checked out the settings and plugged it into 3D mode. And call me a little sick, but it was hilarious watching Sevchecko run up to a Helghast Grunt, grab him on both sides of the helmet, then force both thumbs through the helmet lenses.

I'm sure there's a name for that execution move


When I first heard about Three-Dee-Tee-Vee I originally thought that it was a Nothing thing. Something that could be entertaining on the odd occasion, but not something that I'd do all the time. Three-Dee at the Cinema doesn't change much for me most times, and I get kinda annoyed by having to wear two pair of glasses (Myopia, y'see). So it's fun when you want a cinema experience at home.

There I was though, giggling my head off as an LMG and just MOWING through the Helghast and approaching the MAWLR so that we can stop it from making it's approach to Earth.

Designer 3D glasses


But a little while ago, I remember my mate Kel talking about something he saw on the News a little while ago. A few troops out on the field recorded a battle scenario from a camera stuck on their helmet, and then uploaded it to the net. I can't remember the ordeal on the News about it (possibly the shock and horror of having a soldier upload videos in the first place), but Kel was shocked at how glaringly similar it was to a video game.

I remember seeing the video not long after and agreed, it was rather scary. I could play Call of Duty, or Battlefield and get a similar experience because you play a very similar role. And the conditions are much the same, give or take. Though if you shoot someone in the thigh, they'll still be running around shooting the shit out of you until you riddle them with enough holes that they fall over and phase out.

That's not the same as in real life, but the fact of the matter is that First Person Shooters are exactly that: First Person. You're seeing through the eyes of a character, experiencing their story. Adding in visual depth enhances that effect. Your brain is telling you “He's 12 metres away, you can still clock him with your LMG.”

Scary? I'm not sure. But is it right to make a game that draws from Real-Life aspects MORE realistic?

No comments:

Post a Comment