24 January 2012

Console PC's


Not too long ago I did some fantasizing, and when i was done with that I thought about Nerd Hold and kinda veered off into case mods for computers, thinking about what I would have in some sort of classy studio apartment for a private club house of sorts.

But that's a place that will never happen, sadly. And I doubt I'll be getting into making a computer tower inside a Wooden Case any time soon. But in the mean time, I'll gawk and drool over things like the Alienware X51.

When I first heard about this the article said "Most consoles are like computers. So Alienware made a computer to look like consoles". That's not an exact quote, but you get the idea. I was interested straight off because you can get computers small enough to emulate a console, so you would think it happens more often!

So they made this little beast, at about US$700. Well, it's not really little. It's still bigger than the Xbox Mothership, but still smaller than most Computer towers, not to mention very slick. Though I do like some of the crazy stuff.

I've put that on my 2015 Xmas list, because I'm realistic and reckon that by that time Jenny will be here living with me and I'd have saved enough money for that.

Another thing I was told about was Steam's "Big Picture" mode, designed for people who play their Steam games through Televisions, providing Gamepad controller support along with certain titles that provide controller support. Honestly, I hope that it provides it to some of the older games, such as those in the ID Super Pack. I had fun playing Doom on my Xbox 360, and I would love to play Heretic and Hexen, and especially any of the Quakes, using a controller.

But I can't find any details on what games the Gamepad support will be provided to, or what blanket rule it'll have. Or even what controllers it'll work with. I would assume the Xbox 360 Controller, but one cannot be too sure.

So now that we have a console PC and Steam going to the Big Monitor (So to speak), what games would I want to play as such?!

No comments:

Post a Comment