21 November 2012

Remember November - Psygnosis

It may be a well known fact that I spent a LOT of time playing on my Sega Mega Drive during my youth. And a few games really stuck out. Two of which were published by Psygnosis: Puggsy, and Wiz'n'Liz.

Days were spent with Mum and I writing down Fruit and Veg combinations to the various spells available between chasing down Wabbits. And I'm sure there were months spent before I finished Puggsy, because it was that friggin hard.

You couldn't save the game (though apparently you could if you had the Sega CD version) but you got a password set. But the amount of levels were ridiculous, especially if you were trying to cover EVERYTHING. Secret rooms, difficult bosses, and even more difficult puzzles to figure out.

There were even levels that one could get stuck in. And I still remember a level at a Mill, and you had heaps of bundles of flour, but I got so much flour and just jammed myself in and couldn't get out, and had to reset the console. Oh how I cried. I didn't have the last password. I had to start from scratch.

The thing about it was that you had to move objects and swing yourself about, even leverage yourself over cliffs and up walls. It was a unique experience, and an amazing Puzzle game.

Same with Wiz'n'Liz. Though not as difficult as Puggsy, the game lived up to it's name of being a Frantic Wabbit Wescue. You get a set amount of time to start, which may be around a minute, and you complete more and more levels using whatever time you had left from the last level you finished.

Then you had to collect more Wabbits using less time, and it just keeps going and going and going. I don't think I've finished the game on it's hardest difficulty yet.

But I miss these games. And these are games that should be brought back. Show these kids what the fuck a hard game is.

I'll just add it to the wishlist though, shall I?

3 comments:

  1. Psygnosis were legends of Amiga gaming in the late 80s/early 90s. Made some real classics, including Lemmings and Shadow Of The Beast. Think Sony own them now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember lemmings. Shit me to tears, that game.

      Delete
    2. Oh and yes, they're Sony Liverpool or something now.

      Delete