01 November 2012

Reinventing Ogre Battle

You know, there has been a lot of rehashing of games lately, and better yet the reinvention of older games.  And I'm wondering if I threw out a game I'd like to play out there, that I would get to see it made.  It's not an unreasonable idea.  And considering one game I'm thinking of would be (somewhat) easily reinvented because the style has already been done by a few different developers now.

The game I'm thinking of is Ogre Battle.  Now I put it out there because I've been playing Tactics Ogre a LOT lately, and I've nothing bad to say about it after putting in 200 hours into it, but also because it's a game that can look a lot cooler now than it did then because it's a format that has been done quite a few times.

The one comparison that hit me was Dawn of War II, because as I played a little of Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen, I found that it had features that are similar to DoW2.  You customise your party in the World Map, and then in battle you command your parties across the field of play.

It seems like a straight forward thing because a lot of the groundwork has already been laid out.  It's just a matter of building the game from the ground up, though naturally that's easier said than done.

No comments:

Post a Comment