10 April 2014

Month One

My bags were packed with the Essentials. Clothes, Xbox, Miniatures, IKRPG Rulebook, and then all the bits and bobs I was gifting to Jenny.  Mostly various Australian Chocolates,
I left my place in a shambles.  My room was a mess, shit all around, particularly my clothes that I didn't want any more, and the dishes were left on the shelves... I wasn't going to get my bond back.
Luckily I lived with Mum, and she has a dishwasher and kids to help her drop shit off at the lifeline bin.
(I'm a terrible son.  She still loves me though.)
But I went to work, the fifth shift of the week working at the bar Cloudland, and had a nice farewell from the boys.  They said they'd miss me, and they would put the new Glassy Supervisor through the Prison Trials.
The Man, The Legend, the God, Super Dave, drove me back to mine and then to the Airport.  He's going to be in Canada in the next few years, so he's going to make a trip down to the 'Zoo one day and we're going to go out and celebrate.
Stepping onto the plane felt... emotional.  It possibly could have been from the fact that it was hitting me that I was leaving my home that I know well and love, or that everything is finally happening, that I will finally be with Jenny.  Or it could have been that I had one too many hugs with Dave as he dropped me off.
But I was leaving home to finally be with Jenny.  The first leg in a series of hours in reaching my new home, a place called Kalamazoo.
Still, after four years, it still sounds like a town from out west from Brisbane.
The flight itself was long and uncomfortable.  14 hours from Brisneyland to LAX to wait six hours before going to Chicago, a four hour flight, and a few more hours before the embarking on the final 25 minute flight to Kalamazoo.
It's still a strange sensation though to leave Monday morning at 10:30 and arrive 10:30 that night.
There she was though.  Waiting for me with a massive grin on her face.

Censorship at it's subtlest.

The month has been quite a holiday. Playing/Teaching with Taz, catching up with Mum over skype, and visiting people while making myself comfortable here in 'Murica.
The bad news?  I need a Social Security number.  For Everything.  And to get a SIN- I mean SSN - I need to get a Green Card.  Whereas Jenny and I were under the preconception that I would be able to walk off the plane and go straight into working at a Bar that'll appreciate my accent.  Sadly, the situation is not that simple.
But we're working on that.  The paperwork is going in today and I should be all sorted.
The biggest thing that everyone continues to as about is the Wedding.
The plan was simple: Wedding on the beach on St Paddys day.  We would get what we want, which was getting married on the Beach, an Australian-esque setting, and it would end up being at the closest beach we had, South Haven on Lake Michigan.  Then, instead of a normal reception, we would just go on a Pub Crawl.  And because it was St Paddys day, there would be plenty of people drinking with us, probably buying for us because we were just married.
But whenever anyone asks how the wedding was, the first thing I say is "Cold."  Y'see, the winter hadn't quite left yet.  So the beach was frozen over still, and the wind chill could force a Grolar to pack its bags and head back home.
The lead up was fun, getting me clothed and prepared for the day ahead.  My biggest contribution was my choice of tie, something that was outrageous enough to match my attitude, without completely ruining the ensemble.  And I believe I achieved that.
The lunch on the day was nice, we drove back from South Haven and dined at a lovely Italian restaurant in town, down the road from the Hotel Jenny and I would be staying at that night.
It's about now that I will say before I forget that this was all gifted from Jennys Parents, excessively generous people, if you haven't already guessed.  I can't even begin...
But the Lunch/Dinner (Lunner?) did both Jenny and I in.  We immediately were overwhelmed by that comfortable tired feeling that a pasta does when you devour it, so sadly the idea of a Pub Crawl failed to be attended by the guests of honour.
It was a good day none the less.
But now I sit here, somewhat bored by cooking, cleaning, dog sitting and playing GTAV, and wondering what kind of job I can get once I'm allowed to, while also playing in an online Bloodbowl League led by an old Warmachine Buddy, going out to have fun with Jenny and her Family, and posting funny Memes of Ron Swanson onto Facebook.
That'll change sooner or later.

No comments:

Post a Comment