30 April 2014

What if Blizzard made a Cow Clicker?

Click for more Minerals
I came across the term Cow Clicker a few years back when someone explained what it actually is, which turned out to be simply a joke from a guy about Social Games like Farmville by making a Social game where all you do is Click a Cow every six hours.  Ironically, it became quite popular.

I've been playing a handful of Cow Clickers similar to Farmville the last few years, starting with Tiny Village, a Stone Age themed town builder where the aim of the game is to build and build and keep going until there just isn't anything else.
After that I found Skylanders: Lost Islands.  Same idea, but with the added feature of being able to use my Skylander Figures to throw into the game.  I would send them on adventures, which were simply just countdowns with rewards of Gold after I had farmed for Energy, which I would then use for buildings that would either give me more money, energy, Kingdom Experience, or Gems which offered exclusive stuff.

I had left it in the capable hands of my mother, who to my knowledge has continued to build upon the villages and islands since.
Since I've moved to USA I hadn't even had an inkling of thought towards such Cow Clickers until one night at my Brother-in-law's house the TV was rambling off in the background while we played Cards Against Humanity with our respective spouses, and an ad came up for Clash of Clans.

It was a bit cute watching a skeleton run and run, dodging explosions and arrows while carrying a comical bomb in it's claws until it reached a rock wall, sat back with a sigh, and let the fuse go out.

Then there was something about Archers and Mr T on a Hog asking if he could join in...  It got me curious, so I downloaded it.  It's for free, so why not?

Only a few weeks have passed and I've levelled myself up a fair bit, thrown troops at enemy fortresses to attain whatever resources I can from them, while keeping my own resources and defences in check, trying out numerous combinations to optimise efficency while I wait for the countdown of structure upgrades allowing me to build more or better units and/or structures.

And from the same company I found Boom Beach, which all the same premises except using modern features and everyone placed on islands, attacked from a Gun Boat and Landing Craft, all of which you upgrade over time while defending your own base from the occasional attack, and so on and so forth.

It's a little fun, for a Cow Clicker, because you can be more interactive.  It's fun seeing AI bases and figuring out how to get around the defences while minimising casualties.

Anyone who knows me well enough knows that I'm a fan of Blizzard's Warcraft and Starcraft.  And I sit here looking at the games and wondering "What would an X-craft game be like if they reskinned this?"

Could it be as story intensive as either the Starcraft or Warcraft series?  Heck no, it would probably have someone going "Damn you meddling kids" and that's about it.

But the real drawback on this is that the game won't have the same strategy to it as the computer game normally would.  Though I'm sure there are ways around that.

No comments:

Post a Comment