04 April 2010

Clash of the SHIT-ITS-COMING-RIGHT-FOR-US

"Back when I were a lad, I read me some Greek Miffologee, and deys had some fun back den!"

Seriously, I read the story to Perseus, and I can hardly remember anything about it except that he did defeat the Gorgon and he rode across the river Styx. But I was pretty sure he defeated the Minotaur at some stage, but apparently I got my information confused with another Greek fella called Jason and his Argonautian friends.

Well the year is 2010 and It's probably been a good 15 years since I last read about Perseus. Had I the book I read back then, I would read it and enjoy it in a gentleman's lounge with a wine glass and swilling about something that isn't wine. Possibly wearing an improvised Toga from a bed-sheet or quilt cover. Depends on how my mood swings.

And in all that time, I have never seen the Clash of the Titans. Not once. Never did I watch such classical Kaiju theatre as a child and act all googly eyed at the stop motion animation and stage-to-film acting.

So today, I went with mother dearest to see the new Clash of the Titans movie "IN THREE-DEEEEEEEE". I must say, the 3D didn't really do much for the sensations. I didn't notice it at all throughout the movie as I watched through my two pairs of glasses. Didn't get surprised at some of the objects that were flown across the screen; didn't go "OOO, AHH" at the rather impressive, and what I believed to be extremely random, creatures that he faced in his travels; and I didn't go head over heels over the retina burning sensation of Liam Neeson as Zeus, though he did remind me of a cartoon I used to watch.




The movie itself was good though. I came out thinking there were a few too many action poses, and I was sure that there were a few retcons here and there, but overall it was a good action flick with classical monsters everywhere with a smidgen more make-up than in the '81 classic.

How do I know this? Well when we got back, mum slotted in the DVD of that very film so that we could pass out to its theatrics. Yes, we passed out. I blame my mothers couch, that thing is poison. Nobody can lay down on it for more than a few seconds before conking out.

So yes. I do recommend the Clash of the Titans Remake.

2 comments: