12 April 2011

Deviating from the Norm

For many years I've played Warmachine and throughout those years I've played Gurvaldt Irusk. I was there during the invasion of Llael, the Battle of Thornwood, right up to the destruction of Fort Rathborne. (I am fairly sure that's not what it's called, but I'm running with it until I get Legends in hand again)

He's served me well for many, many years. But I think it's about time I shelved him for a little while.

The problem with playing with a single Warcaster regularly is that he gets too familiar with my opponents. So they know how to play against my army. And they know how annoying he is too.

Kommandant Irusk is well known to be annoying through his feat which gave a 50% “Tough Roll” to all Warrior Models that didn't cause Knockdown if passed, which also went on top of your standard “33% Tough Roll that caused Knock Down if passed”. This was MK1.

MK2 gave a slight tap on the head with the Nerf Bat so that it still gives Tough to models that don't have it, but it overlaps the tough that other models have with the 50% chance. On top of that, all warrior models don't get Knocked Down. It's a very nifty feat and trying to get past it can be near impossible.

In turn, Irusk can hit back hard. Not necessarily himself, but the Warrior Models around him, because of Battle Lust. Fearless and an Additional Damage Die on melee attacks? Oh what fun has been had. I killed a Behemoth in one turn from my unit of Great Bears. Three attacks and it was destroyed, I believe. So with 2d6 for normal attacks, 1d6 for Charging, 1d6 for Battle Lust, and 1d6 for Weapon Master, then minus 9 from the result, then rolling really high...

Even on Ironfangs, with their P+S 13+2d6 attacks can ultimately annihilate most light Warjacks and Warbeasts on a couple of charge attacks with Battle Lust. If they hit of course.

Lastly is Superiority and Iron Flesh. I love seeing a Berserker running around with the same stats as a Slayer Warjack (SPD 6, MAT 7, DEF 13) before exploding. Oh how I love when he explodes.

As for Iron Flesh, well, placing it on a unit of Ironfangs or Great Bears can make them nigh untouchable with the defence of a Warcaster.

Those are this most commonly used spells I find on Kommandant Irusk. Inhospitable Ground is regularly ignored, and I can find better use of 3 Focus than to cast Grind or Airburst. While I appreciate that Airburst is now worth it's focus cost (rather than 4 in MK1), I don't find many uses for it at most times, which is sad for a spell that ignores almost everything.

But the same goes for Supreme Kommandant Irusk. Battle Lust remains in the same position, Tactical Supremacy for those units that would like the extra boost in positioning, and Fire For Effect for the Long Range Bombardier, such as a Destroyer or a Winterguard Mortar Crew.

Actually, one day I want to use Koldun Kapitan Valachev to attach to Herne and Jonne so as to have a Fully Boosted Scatter Shot.

Anyway, it's still the same Deal. All too familiar to my opponents. So I'm going to change what Warcasters I play.

While the list isn't limited, I still cut out who I didn't want to play. Orsus Zoktavir was the first to go as my friend Uncle Biggins adores him and played both Incarnations as if he were a God. Next to go were the remainder of the Big Three, Vlad and Sorscha. Both are rather powerful, and I've never really had much appeal in playing them. While their Epic Incarnations aren't as powerful, I know others who have a similar stance with them as Uncle Biggins does his Butcher.

So that left about 4 Warcasters. Alexander Karchev the Terrible; Zevhanna Agha,The Old Witch of Khador and Scrapjack; Koldun Kommander Alexandra Zerkova; Kommander Oleg Strakhov.

I've played Karchev before today and I don't find too much appeal in him. I like what he stands for, but his style of play just doesn't appeal to me. So that leaves Three.

I don't have anything against these Warcasters. I've hardly played any of them, and they're all very different from the other warcasters in the faction. On top of that, Kommander Harkevich is also coming later in the year with his character Destroyer “Black Ivan”. More on that in another very excited post.

So now I'm going to make up lists using what I have and these Warcasters. Old Witch will be first to be played, but I do have to get some glue and find her Gnarled Staff, before assembling Strakhov and Zerkova.

Now to cogitate on how they play. Maybe I should pull out some of the old posts I hid about Zerkova and Strakhov. I'm no Legendary Tactician, but I have the medal to prove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment