04 April 2011

Blood Bowl - Of Teamwork and Cheerleaders

So I've been playing Blood Bowl on the computer for almost a week now, and I think I'm figuring out Orcs. I think.

I've been fairly lucky too in most cases, though playing the campaign has limited my opponents to about 3 or 4 teams. Goblins are easy. The funny thing about them is that if anything actually hits them, they either get knocked out or suffer damage. Though I do have to watch out for the little bugger with the ball and chain. Bastard Hurts.

But they're fairly easy. Block them with two or more dudes and they'll be down or out, or better yet Dead, and then just get a Blitzer to bolt across the field. Tie up anyone who could catch up to him, and hope that they get knocked down leaving the tackle zone.

The team that it doesn't work on 9/10 times is fkn Wood Elves. They fkn dance about your players and they have enough speed to be able to do a passing game really well. Which is really annoying, but I think I figured out how to get around them. It's crude, but get a cage set up around the ball and just let a Blitzer fly up around the side. The elves will eventually regret it as the computer tends to prioritize the ball.

The last team is the Chaos Team. They like to play a cage game, which isn't too much of a hassle. I can slow down the cage with no worries. If I get the ball, then game on. Pass it across the field to a stray Blitzer and... well Blitz the finish line. The Chaos team are as quick as Orcs so they can't catch up with someone across the field easily.

Now I've mentioned Blitzers a few times in this, and thats because they're Freaking Awesome. To boot, one of my Blitzers has levelled up twice and he got a point of strength and I gave him Break Tackle, where he uses his strength instead of Agility when moving out of tackle zones. That's fkn nice.

On top of that, my Black Orc Blocker levelled up from smacking the crap out of everyone he was in front of, so I gave him Block. Cos that's what you do, give a guy who's role is to Block people the Block Skill. Just to add insult to injury.

So far that's what I've faced, though I have plenty of work ahead of me.

The one thing that really bugs me about the game is that the teams I began facing weren't on the same par as me. They had earnt their own special abilities each, but I guess that's how it works.

The worst part is that I'm playing it on easy. And it's not an easy game, though once you figure it out, the computer can be exploited. Eventually if the League with the Lads starts up, I'll have a hard fight ahead of me.

One thing I really like about the Video game is that the models for the Orcs look Awesome. I'd take those models if they looked like that. The ones that are in the GeeDubb gallery look a little lame. And the Cheerleader is just terrifying. She's one of those girls who wears a skirt, and only a skirt, to work, and only if you're lucky. Otherwise, she spends her time practising seaknots with herself.

*Shudder*

That's one thing the game has got right. If there's a monsterous team that have an unsettling cheerleader squad, then they give them something more appropriate. For Orcs, it's a bunch of male Orcs wearing robes and banging drums.

So that makes me think of a cool cheerleader squad of a Band playing various instruments, like one fellow screaming out while waving a noisemaker around. It's not a Cheerleader Squad, but damnit it's easy on the eyes.

That's one thing I forgot to mention. I changed my team a bit. Now there's 5 Lineorks, 1 Thrower, 1 Black Orc and 4 Blitzers. Then after a few games, I had money to buy another Lineork just to cover an injury or a send off.

So that's Blood Bowl for me. Now to actually get the figures and paint em up. After that, might do a Nordic Team. And after that, with two Trolls in hand, I'll make a Goblin Team.

For Trolls, I don't want to use the standard GW ones. I want to use Warmachine Trolls. Troll Bomber for one, just drop the kegs. Or maybe one of the elemental trolls?

Hmm... Nordic Team made up of Doomreavers and Nihilators. That'll be fun.

Something I think I may be doing wrong with my Team is that I'm raising my value too high? Other teams are getting more inducements, whereas I'm getting nothing. I wouldn't mind bribing the ref more often. I'm already at max cheerleaders, my fan factor was 9 from the start (though it's dropped down to 8 after losing a few games) and I have my own apothecary. I'm just gonna start hoarding my money now and only buy a new player on occasion.




Hello. I think I found myself some Miniatures.




And on top of that, after playing the Video game for 2 hours, I got my Black Orc to make three touchdowns. Good stuff.

4 comments:

  1. Quick Answers:

    The answer to Elves is to spread the line thin and make them dodge as much as possible.

    Before you reach 150 tr, you want to have about three players with Tackle as Elf hitters and dodge stoppers.

    As Orks, your skill tree is Block, Tackle, Mighty Blow then customize.

    Orks kill the other team, and then exploit the gaps and walk through their lowest skilled player to get the TD. Whoever gets AG 4 first becomes the secondary ball handler.

    My Starting team is Four Blitzers, Four Black Orcs, two linemen, one thrower.

    Anti-cage - If they are individually weaker than you, envelop the cage. If they are even or stronger, make a counter cage formation one square off their cage, and pick off the corners with localized strength.

    If you want some practice games, give me a hoi! I love me some Bloodbowl, and would love to help get you up to speed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Handicaps- get the biggest baddest star that you can afford. They will make up for a lot.

    Also - The Hordes troll team sounds cool!

    I would stick with Orks as a beginner - Norse are a middle to high skill team. Everyone with block is awesome, but AV 7 makes the mid-late season hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well now I've gotten myself two cups, doing exactly what you said before I even read it lol

    But I've gotten 4 players with a boost to strength, 2 blitzers, a lineman, and my Black Orc. Who I'm dubbing the Black Orc Runner because he's scored me about 6 touchdowns so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh. You see, it was good advice :)

    League advice - spread skills as evenly as possible. Star team will beat a team with a couple of stars.

    With the Orks, once you thump the other team off the board, get your skill laggards some touchdowns. Mighty Blow is awesome.

    ReplyDelete