14 November 2011

Manning Up

Every so often I actually go out. Not go to a mates place to play games, but actually out to do something Normal. Like go out to a play. Which is what I did on Saturday night, to see the World Premiere of the final Felafel play: How To Be A Man. I put on a nice shirt, my glasses so I could see, and made the trek from Roma Street Station where I stepped off the Bus.

Now, I get a little nervous around crowds. It's just the way I am. So just before I went to the Theatre I stopped off at the Alfie Hotel (aka: Hotel LA; aka: Lord Alfred Hotel) and grabbed a cider and sculled that down to ease the nerves. Then I wandered up to the theatre to collect my ticket.

As I waited for the lovely girl to print my ticket, as I left mine at work on friday, I was approached by an unfamiliar face who had approached me knowing full well who I am. Turns out it was Abe, one of the Burgers who had turned up for the same play as I did! He introduced himself and offered me a drink, which I happily accepted because I'm an alcoholic and still a little nervous.

It was annoying that I had so many nerves that night. I got hand fed from Greg and met Dan from Smart Enough 2 Know Better and even though I listen to his shrill garbling and Gregs Barotone (at least I reckon he has the deeper voice) and I should know that he's a very casual sort of guy, I got too nervous and ended up making a bit of an arse of myself in front of him. Insert Facepalm Image of your choice here. Actually, use this.

Anyway, I had a nice chat with many of the Burgers, and even the Burger King himself, until everyone had to clamber into the Theatre itself wearing a fake Moustache that Simon Bedak was handing out like lollies. I was i seat A9, front row centre aisle. It was a good seat, I thought. It would give me a wonderful view of the play. I could see things without having to squint at the little details. The small entertaining things that can really make a play better.

Now after saying that to myself, had a wonderful introduction to the city of "Bong Kok". If you go see the play, you'll understand very early on what I'm talking about.

The stage itself was amazing. set in the back yard of a shoddy old sharehouse that even had the family safe (One of the panels made from a cut up Beer Carton), it had all the feel of a scungy house full of rats, cockroaches and nests of feral possums living in the tall grass. And the traditional Sharehouse Couch sat amongst it.

The entire play was magnificent. I can't say anything bad about it. Even Bong Kok. It was a massive shock to the system, but it was still hilarious. Girl Clumsy directed a masterpiece, scripted by Simon Bedak, and written by John Birmingham and Dirk Flinthart.

But the main thing that the show taught me was how to Man Up (funny that). And pretty much all of the Burgers suggested and agreed with starting a donation run to get Jenny to Australia. A JenCon Oz Fund. Everyone wanted to put forward for her to come here, whether it means she'll be spending lots of money here, or even just using the contributions to keep her here longer (Which is probably a better use of the contributions, actually).

I'm currently in discussions with Jenny about organising it, so we'll let everyone know when it's all ready. I'm thinking a Paypal thing?

4 comments:

  1. Superb evening. Thanks for showing me The Clacko, was great to finally meet you. Therbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Don't be silly. I was delighted to meet you and discover it's already happened before. I don't even know what you're referring to. I recall no arse making.

    Now let's just sit back and think of "Bong Kok".

    aaaaaah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always good to see you too. How was that bottle of 08 Coonawarra Cab Sav you won you lucky bastard? Bedes

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Therbs: It was a pleasure to know that you went home without being Glassed.

    @Dan: Huzzah! I finally made an impression!

    @Bedes: Yet to have it, gonna have to crack it open next week, I reckon.

    ReplyDelete