01 August 2009

Word of the Week: Bromance

I heard the word one evening while refreshing my appearance on Facebook. A funny fellow who is quite the jet setter has been in the company of too many lady-friends, and sent a status update requesting Bromance.

I giggled to myself at the portmanteau and then checked my phone to look at Facebook...

... Immediately noticing the asshattery (Another Erininthesky Signature Word) I turned off my phone and walked away.

The week before last, I recieved an email from Mother Dearest.
Hey Matt, are we going to the movies this sunday?
It was that time of the fortnight and mother was curious.
I remembered to the sunday before last where I enjoyed a day at Kels place with Greg, practicing a day of Hardcore Warmachine/Hordes.
The most notable part of that day was Gregs Eldest (I think) playing with my figures and calling my Venators "Girls".
Kel made mention that he wanted to do this again in a fortnights time.
Fair enough, I thought. It'll last a few fortnights before Gencon and we'll get plenty of practice in.
So delaying mother with an email requesting her to await friday for an answer, I sent an sms to Kel asking if the practice was on at his place again.
Fortunately not, as Kel had something else happening. However, he did have an alternative for me which was to turn up at his place on Tuesday or Wednesday to paint (Knowing full well how much I have to paint.)
I accepted his offer for Wednesday night (As Tuesdays I go to Nundah for Monpoc Gaming) and I took the bus to his place.

The night was spent rather well with back paints and neck strains and finger cramps covered with dvd's of Danger Mouse playing in the background.
Not to mention the fine dining of Eagleboys Pizza with Coke, Garlic Bread and Chicken wings.
To top off the night before retiring, Kel presented to me one of his favoured Animes: Appleseed.
I've heard dabblings of this Anime while watching Madman DVD's, their advertisements trying to tempt the sci-fi addicts, but I hadn't looked into it at all.

The first presentation was the second Appleseed Movie's Introduction.
This was awesome. I became extremely interested with this fun display of ninja-esque capabilities with SMG's versus miniguns and explosives.
Or even a helicopter trying to get away from nine rocket launchers that had been patched together to fire as one.
After this introduction to the movie he showed me the first movie.
I'm terrible with descriptions, but I'm certainly interested in looking this up now.

The night was full of one-liners ("Penfold, Shush") and manly emotions (Belching and Farting).
A good night, in my eyes.

But the Bromance doesn't stop there.

Saturday day was simple. I go to Blind Pig and nerd up for the day with some games of Warmachine/Hordes.
First of two games was against Jeff and his Epic Kruegar list. It was a sad moment for him because he hasn't had much luck with Kruegar for a while. I played rather offensively, killing off what I could and sacrificing others for the sake of the better lot (Ancestral Guardians and the Immortals). My Ancestral Guardian vs Totem Hunter History remains hardly tarnished, with another knotch on the Guardians belt to match the other 2.
But Kruegar strayed too close to Morghouls attack range and I lept at the chance like a kid on candy. As an afterthought, we realised a mistake of a Woldwyrd being a little too close for comfort but jeff accepted the loss anyway with a quick change of what should've been done.

The second game was a loss at my own stupid fault.
Playing Reznik, the player had him standing between a Devout and another 'Jack with Venators to play Firing Squad and an Ancestral Guardian to finish the job.
But I made a mistake didn't I.
Morghoul lept and weaved his way through the melee to put him within spells distance of the ancestral guardian, and Line of Sight to Reznik. The feat was blown and Shadow Walker was cast on the Guardian.
Two fury left on an assassination against a Defence 10 figure.
What do I do? I know. I'll cast "Death Warrant" on him to give my Cyclops Shaman to deal some substantial damage.
That was the mistake that I shouldn't have done. One of Rezniks ability, "Witchhound" allows a model in his battlegroup to move after being hit with a spell.
He ran away behind the rest of his jack.
I stamped the floor in aggrivation at my Asshattery.
But I bit my tongue and continued, salvaging what I could before losing my own warlock.
Time was called, however, and my opponent still won due to having partially completed the object (Damaging Indescript objectives).
The day was entertaining, and it was good to see familiar faces.
I must say, Killian is getting better. He was pretty keen with the 350 we were playing earlier. I was impressed.

But that is not all, my dear readers. The end is nearing.
The travel home remains. Somewhere between Park Road and Roma Street, my phone alarmed itself to me.
"Hey buddy u home tonight/ was thinking cause mel and matt r doin their thing want to see a movie or something to get out of the house?"
I haven't recieved a message wrought with missing letters like that in about a year. And surprise surprise, it's the Superdick.
I quickly considered my alternative: Stay in my room, play Kingdom Hearts, maybe even do a blog.
I accepted his offer for a movie and we drove out to Chermside.
I was like I was on a date. Awkward silence was riddled through the night. He enjoyed the movie (Transformers 2) and that was it.
We arrived home and spoke with everyone present (I mimed to Kim saying I couldn't hear anything, Movies Speakers ruined my ears) before retreating to my room after giving up on trying to listen.

4 comments:

  1. *sigh* ...I envy your wealth of Bromance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Brove life will change quite a bit in a few weeks.
    Hope you've made contacts over there already

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have.

    The Ottawa Warmachine Club has a set of forums which I have been haunting for a few months now. As it turns out, we arrive on the 26th and there is a convention on the 29th. Haven't told Jane yet...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, you disappear for a day and she's running around pulling her hair out and eventually calls the Missing Persons unit.
    You come home to a gaggle of police around your house and jane as bald as a golfball.
    "Well shit. Probably should've said something"

    ReplyDelete