25 January 2010

Gaga for music... because I'll admit I'm a man.

Music is an amazing thing. It motivates people to do some amazing things. My musical tastes are usually pretty broad, however I do tend to close myself off from things that simply repeat the same thing of the lines of "Smack a bitch who blowin me behind the club", which is getting fairly common these days.

My favourite kind of music is the kind with a fast tempo. I've mentioned that I like the Cowboy Bebop soundtracks and I still listen to them quite regularly, and each song is different from the last and dabbles in similarity here and there whether it has the same singers, or by style. My attraction to a quick beat leads me to really enjoying the theme song to Cowboy Bebop.



Their play on Blues and Jazz is really entertaining, and the Anime series is made even better thanks to these guys.

Continuing on the subject of being a Fanboy and a fast tempo, a while ago I was bored and looked up Sonic the Hedgehog and found something that entertained me: Covers of Sonic background music. At first I found a Brazilian group that had a very entertaining band name, Mega Driver. Listening to them, however, was like an accordion made from a cat. The screeching guitar went much too overboard for my tastes and I ended up leaving that behind.

Searching further found the "Chaos Project", a collaboration of artists who remixed the Sonic 3 and Knuckles music. This I find to be a slice of gold. Different styles for different levels, many of which are very appropriate, and a few very entertaining remixes. Remix usually translates to "Ruin the original song", but sometimes you get some good ones.



This one isn't a remix, but it's a good 'un.

When I was younger, so this is probably going back about 8 years ago when I probably got a hold of my very own Album, I would listen to things like System of a Down and Puddle of Mud. I can still enjoy them and give them a listen, but with time I found myself changing tastes to what I am now. One thing that hadn't really changed was my liking for Incubus.

I used to listen to the Radio willingly. Now it's just a part of day that can't be avoided. But one thing that hasn't changed since the turn of the millennium is that Radio stations still play "Incubus – Drive" or "I wish you were here" every day at least once each. They're just lucky that it's a freakin good song.

Incubus are a great band as well, since they haven't limited themselves to just two hit songs I decided to grab a few (all) of their available albums and give them a listen, and I picked out a few of my favourites, the majority of them having the right tempo for me to really enjoy.



But that's not all!

Long before I picked up the Cowboy Bebop soundtracks, I was somewhat influenced by a now unlikely source. He pointed me in the direction of Kings of Leon, a Rock/Blues band that had become quite popular with their song "Charmer". I really enjoyed it, it was something random and it gave me that little shiver down the spine when you really enjoy something.

So naturally, I picked up those albums too! And evntually picked out this song as one of my favourites.



My music taste is still expanding and I want to listen to more and more as I go along, just as I get introduced to a variety of styles from other people. If I had the balls though, I'd go to a music shop and grab a bunch of CD's. I'm not that adventurous.

4 comments:

  1. Word.

    Just saw Them Crooked Vultures. I can't work out what to say, apart from "epic".

    Give your mind to me, the Doc and Beeso for an evening (and Jennicki's blessing) and we'll expand it beyond your wildest dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALD that sounds just a wee bit gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that. *cough*

    Told ya TCV would be awsm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only a wee bit? I was aiming for flaming. Must get that gaydar checked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only real reply I can make is "Giggity."

    ReplyDelete