01 January 2010

Happy New Year

Happy New Year Ladies and Gentlemen. This is a new year and soon a new series for Monpoc.

Over the past few months, I have played with the Subterran Uprising quite regularly. And frankly, I've been having quite a few bad matchups.
The Subterrans are a very Melee Based army. The units are very tough and match up well against many figures, with their high defence and good attack stats. The runt of the litter (in my opinion) is the Mollok Mortars, but that comes from a history of using Spitters who have long range and haven't required the necessity of maneuverability.

The Mollok Brutes and Berserkers however are extremely intimidating. Many people have stared at my hand of 3 A-die and 8 B-die in shock and said
"How does that work again?"
"One for each Mollok Brute Grunt, Two from the Elite, one each for the elite bonuses, two from the Champion Skill."
Or
"One each for the Brute Grunt and the Berserker, two from the Brute Elite, one for the Elite bonus, one each for Berserk Skill."
So there's no disputing how awesome these brawling units are. The Groundbreaker is the runnerup, but that's because I mostly use him for ground control, using his action to eliminate some poor sap from a power zone and then claiming it for myself.

But I look at the monsters and find myself stuck against my match ups because they are mostly ranged. Incinerous, Mucustos, Gakura are the top three combatants. Incinerous is hard to touch with the ways he is played and the fact that he's fireproof, Mucustos is just about as bad but with more hit points and a constant flow of super damage instead of immunity, and Gakura spends his time healing with Blitz, or preventing your turn from happening with his lightning attack.

Slugbutt and Drillnose are having trouble catching up to them, however. I can easily attribute this to a change of gameplay that I'm not used to. I'm used to being able to heal EVERY turn and be nigh on invincible because everyone had trouble dealing enough damage to defeat me.

So until series 5 comes out, I'm going back to a classic Over Powered figure: Ulgoth. It'll be fun. I get to fight with one of my favourite monsters (not because he's OP, but because he's funny looking) and everyone can finally have a decent match up.

3 comments:

  1. I miss Tharsis as well, I feel like I'm failing the little sluggiedrillbutts.

    Sads I haven't been at the last few tourneys - life things n' such. Booo.

    Are you guys going to kick off some more casual sunday afternoons while there aren't any sanctioned events? I don't care about prizes, I just miss playing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, we've missed you too, Rethy!

    We've got some more sanctioned events coming up, so keep an eye out on the PP Events site! Kel is aiming for regular 2 weeks, so we can get back into a very good grind again!

    But if you want to play of a sunday, we can organise a game in 2 weeks time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Squee, have registered for the next batch of events and I promise to be good and turn up this time.

    Promise!

    Haha, see you there :)

    ReplyDelete