22 January 2010

You give me the kind of feeling people write Novels about.

It was the night of the 'Burger Dinner and I expected to get drunk and have a few laughs with an older generation of guys and gals. And it was. But to make it a proper 'Burger dinner, it had to include some of the more infamous members of the blogroll.

She parades around under the name of Jennicki, cheeky and funny, lauging with all of the regular faffers of the 'Burger. I'd seen her around and said to myself “Hey, she's pretty cute.” Which she is. I followed her blog for a little bit and admitted to myself that she's a pretty cool character.

So with being such a loyal follower and close friend to the 'Burger King, she was certain to make an appearance at the dinner. 7:30 rolled around which made her to wake up at 4am in the U.S.A. so she could wake up in a good half hour before the meet and greet over Skype.

And thats where it began. Nat called out whether anyone wanted to talk to Jennicki, and I said “sure, she's cute.” I rammed my face into the little camera of Damians Netbook and she saw me in all my rather tipsy glory. I didn't even turn on my charm, because frankly I always thought I'm as charming as a wet herring trying to cut down a tree, and one of her first words was “Oh you're adorable!” She fell for my dimples (that I didn't know knew existed; I just don't smile at myself often enough) and we began to talk. She wanted me to send an email to her. And boy do I not regret it.

Then it just kept going from there. We talked, we laughed, and got to know each other. She told me stories about her, and I told her stories about me. We both write and we wrote stories for each other. By Xmas and New Years, we pretty much announced that we were in a relationship to the 'Burgers by posting funny stuff about over sexing each other throughout Birmos mansion; breaking the coffee table; clogging his kitchen sink; defiling his bedsheets that were gifted to him in his Grandmothers will.

Jens favourite story is when we were first talking together she asked me what I did for work. I told her Private Investigator and she didn't believe me. "Are you really?"
So I sent a text to her phone saying "Yes, I am."
"Did you just? OMG!"

It rolled on and on, weeks after Xmas and through new years. It began to grind on peoples nerves, a few snarky comments were thrown about and eventually we apologised for our lewd behaviour. It was a constant thing, and so we eventually worked our way behind closed doors.

Behind those doors we talked on Skype. It started off simple. She could see me, but I could hear her lovely and cute voice sing across my mums speakers. She was cute, and I made her laugh with my jokes and silly actions such as dancing across the camera and pulling funny faces. She flooded me with compliments, saying I'm so cute and that she loves my dimples. My favourite to this day is she loves the creases in the corner of my eyes when I laugh.

How could I not like her? She had me in a corner, threatening me with her gorgeous laugh, beating me back with hilarious anecdotes regarding her adorable mother, and eventually capturing me with her wonderful character every time we talk over Skype. We chat every chance we get over Skype, waking her up in the morning while I wind down from work, or from when I wake up in the morning when her night is beginning and we just don't stop until late afternoon when she finally decides to go to bed, talking about things of life and generally being silly.

I've made her feel good too, and apparently it shows. Not long after we started talking, people complimented her by mentioning the glow about her and how happy she is. I joked that when I see her, she would wake up absolutely incandescent and she would beam so much that nobody would be safe from her laser beams.

I'll be seeing her in August just after Gencon Indy. I don't want it to be a stop over, I want to stay there for at least a week. It will happen, and I'll probably come back with a tan better than the ones you get at any Queensland beach. And in turn, she's going to come to Brisbane for Xmas 2010 and stay with me, conveniently over the Xmas Holidays. While she may not get showered with gifts while she's over here, I do hope that she will have a good time while she's here.

So we've taken on this relationship by the horns. While it may be a stupid idea to start a long distance relationship, it really doesn't matter. We know the rules of the game and the risk we take by doing this, but we have our ways and we're staying optimistic about it.

I hate stupid comments about it though. The other night, someone decided that she should put her 2 cents in and I didn't appreciate it. Could've been what she said, could just be that I hate being treated like an idiot unless I deserve it, but it ticked me off.

“Medway, don't hold yourself out from everyone. If you find someone else that really wants you who's right here, then you can tell your overseas friend 'Bitch, I got some pussy here now so you can fuck off'.”

I suspect my audience will understand my sentiments towards this. While I know she means well and doesn't want to see me get hurt in the end, it's my business.

One other thing I'm starting to get annoyed at is being mocked. Call me a sook, but some people I know are silly who take any comment and just make stupid comments. I've been hesitant to tell most people about us because of it. I don't want to hear “Matty is talking to a 40 year old man who's using a voice synthesiser to sound like a woman” or asking something like “So is she a nerd too? Does she play your little games?”

I know it's silly of me, and I've apologised to her about it, but it's just the way I am. I can enjoy the harmless little jokes, which encompasses most people I, but certain people just tick me off. One of my crosses to bear, I suppose. And it's always those you HAVE to be around regularly.

I kinda wish I had Jen's sort of confidence. She has told just about everyone about me, and she has been called a Cougar many times over because of it. She even corrected someone to say that she's technically a Puma, to which one fellow retorted with “Actually, you're more of a Jaguar.”

She has told her best friends about me and they gave her the 20 questions, asking me a few questions as well, and apparently I passed their test and I have been approved.

I really like her. She's smart, she's entertaining, she's fun to talk to. She even tries Australianisms, such as trying to pronounce Awesome the same way I do, which ends up with ORSUM. She has always wanted to come to Australia ever since she read a book where the character would always want to escape to Australia.

She has a fairly good basing within Australia too, particularly Brisbane. She has never travelled, but I still remember her story that she met Dirk through her Writing Studies when she was 17 or 18, and they simply haven't stopped talking since. I wonder whether I approve on Dirks Dad-o-meter, as I imagine after knowing her for so long, she would be considered an adopted daughter. From there she began talking with more and more of Dirks friends through the internet, and thus began her connection with Brisbane.

I was similar. I met Kel through War Gaming and he introduced me to his mates and eventually it came full circle to the 'Burger dinner party. I've told the story enough times to have everyone repeat it in unison.

I can't say enough good things about this woman. I can't wait to talk to her when she wakes up in an hour, and to meet her in August. It's too far away, but these things take time.


Also, babe, I just want to point out that I was under no obligation to write this.

And Her retort: My Funny Valentine

29 comments:

  1. Medway, Jenn,

    I sincerely hope that nothing I have said at the Burger has made the two of you feel uncomfortable. I don't remember saying anything terribly bitchy, but there was a little (I thought) gentle ribbing happening at one stage. If I have inadvertently said anything to upset either of you I apologise. Sometimes my idea of humour (with a u) can get me into trouble.

    Truth is, we miss you guys in the lounge. Please come back. And FWIW I think it's ORSUM that you two can feel this way about each other without having met. If anyone can pull off the long distance shit (and that's My descriptor - of My relationship), then it will be the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mayhem, I'm sorry I haven't been in the Lounge for a while. You haven't said anything to upset us, nobody actually has, but our distance from the Lounge is just being slack, honestly. I've been too distracted by Jen haha

    But thank you for your Blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heart you, Matty Medway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heart you too, Jennicki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never met Jen myself, although I'm about five hours away by car-I just don't get to Michigan much-but she seems like a good kid. Enjoy each other's company!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet guys, that's ORSUM!
    I didn't realise the lounge stuff was that serious, thought it was just a joke that went a tad too long.

    Jen's an honorary BrisBurger anyway, it'll be just like coming home :)

    Look forward to catching up at the next Burger do...

    ReplyDelete
  7. "She's coming to Brisbane in Xmass 2010"

    "YAY I Say YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll remember to bring a my big stick in case you guys get too outta hand haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Surely this is exactly the sort of thing that the new government internet filter is intended to combat :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. AWSM. Just AWSM.

    I get what you mean on the being annoyed at 'being mocked'. Got a little bit of stick when I started getting feelings for my flatmate. When I proposed marriage just a month out from her return to Japan, I was openly ridiculed and both our motives were questioned. While your situation is inherintly different, I can suggest that if you persist, the motives are no longer questioned and it's accepted. Either that, or the 'negative creeps' take a deserved back seat in your lives.

    Good luck and peace.

    (Oh yeah, and can't wait to meet Jennicki, too. Promise not to leave you in the lurch again, Dimples Matty Medway).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, if you disappear on me again Albion, it won't be so much of a loss. I'll still have Jen hanging off me haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Jygg: Aww, you just don't want to see all the lovey dovey crap.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I heart you, internet filter.
    :p

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahh. Onya kids.

    And as for 'Bitch, I got some pussy here now so you can fuck off'... you have correctly identified this as Fucking Useless Advice. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bwahahahahaaaaa! Oh, you wet bastard, you!

    She's more of a sister and occasional literary sparring partner, comrade -- and a good friend. And she's grown up enough to make up her own mind, so whether you qualify or not ain't up to me, pup. I'll tell you this, though: she's smart, and has apparently learned enough to give as good as she gets, so you're going to have to bring your A-game to the table.

    Oh -- and the pair of you better get your asses down to Tasmania during that holiday period. Probably via Melbourne, where GuruBob and Barnes can teach you what real food looks like in a real restaurant, so that I can follow up by teaching you just how unreal food can get.

    Groove on, the pair of you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Guys, you don't need my blessing. That would just be condescending. But we'd better start arranging the Christmas meet and greet now, before the boys get involved with their faff.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Dr Yobbo: Cheers doc. Sometimes I surprise myself.

    @Flinthart: We'll see. If she can't afford it, It'll be one hell of an expensive first date for me.

    @Mayhem: Sounds like a good idea. Heck, we should've planned it at the Lock n Load!

    @GC: I know, girl wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Y'all are so sweet!

    I absolutely adore this man. He's smart and sweet and funny and imaginative and playful and he puts a smile on my face at 5:30 AM, which is no easy feat.

    And the Dimples. My god the Dimples. They kill me every time.

    There isn't anywhere else I'd rather be than talking with Medway.

    ReplyDelete
  19. And Dirk you're a big teddy bear! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Huzzah! A tropical christmas visit!

    Prepare the giant fire pits and begin fattening the hogs.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Crap. Must be losing it. I swear to God I commented this morning; or thought I did.

    Best of luck! ... again.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aunty Quokka26 January, 2010

    Hum? What? You two?
    Nooooooo!

    I know I missed two or three weeks there over Xmas while I was away and I never did get around to reading much from the 17 -30 Dec but it looks like I'll have to get back there and see what I missed.

    As for the age difference -pish tosh.
    Love isn't a number.

    My beloved grandma - that I only ever got to talk to on the phone from the other end of the continent - was married for 23 years to a total bastard. She then, aged 50, met the great love of her life who was many years younger. They had 30 wonderful years together before he died, ten years before she did.

    Guys, we seem to have lasted the distance for 22 years together and as far as I can tell its just about waking up every day with the commitment to be good to each other.

    But seriously, if I see you two doing what you did in the chocolate fountain again, its going on FKN youtube.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Game on. The world should know our love, and if it involves Fondue Chocolate and Youtube, then so be it. I'm sure it'll be an absolute hit.

    Thanks Auntie Quokka.

    Thanks Moko 2. Again.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well, I'm the teacher that got Jen on the Net and kept telling her to keep writing cause she's damn good at it. I'm thrilled for you both. it's an adventure if nothing else! Anyone who doesn't well wish is just jealous. Have at it. Have as much fun as you can and don't worry what anyone else thinks. I just spent a summer in the Big Horns of Wyoming and under the Big Sky of Montana with an internet meet and we had a great 5 months. While it didn't work out, I have a good friend at the end of the day.

    Best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love you Ginny. I should be thanking you for leading me to Medway then, since you got me started on the internet and introduced me to Dirk. :D

    P.S. We need to get together soon, I miss you.

    AHAHAHAHHAHA my security word is "STACKED."

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm soooo late coming to this little celebration-fest-happytimes- sweetness-happiness thread.

    Well I hope by now you both know I am very happy to learn that it wasn't just joking around. I kept thinking, "go on you two, like each other!" I think I was fairly convinced after FB conversations, whereas, at the Burger its often difficult to tell what's a friendly game and what's meant seriously.

    Don't ever think I'd be "annoyed" by expressions of care and love and warmth and happiness. Blessings on this connection and Medway and Jenn if you're ever this way , I'll make you feel welcome and bore you with Important National Monuments in our Nations capital xx Abs

    ReplyDelete
  27. Aww, thanks Abigail. Jen says you're so sweet. I say that because I'm talkig with her right now.

    ReplyDelete