04 February 2010

Fuck game warning.

It was a stupid idea anyway.

This week has been wrought with entertainment and shenanigans. Last Sunday, on the venture out with mother dearest, my nephew tagged along. This is my oldest nephew, aged at 16 in April, and he's still surprising me. Last time I saw him at Xmas (was it Xmas?) I was surprised to find that he was that old now and that he was so friggin tall! He's 6 foot now, after the 4 foot something I last remember him at. He definitely didn't take after his father, who's still in the mid range of 5 foot whatever.

Mother and I had a plan for the day: Go see the new Sherlock Holmes film. But you know what? The little bugger had already seen it, so Mum said “We'll see something else”, to which we watched the tale of “Old Dogs”, a film based around two bachelors who are getting on in years and are suddenly submitted to the 'worst thing that could happen to them': Children. With John Travolta and Robin Williams leading, I half expected it to be a funny movie. It's Travolta and Robin Williams, ffs!

But no dice. Even with Bernie Mac playing a man dressed in pink felt surrounded by people costumed in animals and making kids laugh so much that he's proud when a kid shoots milk out his nose. So shenanigans happened and that was that for “Old Dogs”.

Along that day I also picked up a few new Terry Pratchett books, a little to my disappointment as I was going to pick up some Lego for work. What? I like Lego. The books I picked up were Making Money, A Hat Full Of Sky and Night Watch. At the time I bought the books, I was reading through a book kel let me borrow: David Webers “On Basilisk Station”. The silly thing was the people kept mistaking it for “David Weber on Basilisk Station”. Then I'll say it's about a girl named Honor Harrington and they would say “Then who's David Weber?”

But after finishing it just yesterday, I have moved onto Night Watch. I did enjoy Honor Harrington and I look forward to reading through the other novels. I also really like Sam Vimes. What I like best about Terrys City Watch novels is that it never seems to end. It climaxes at the middle, not near the end, and slowly lets you down with smaller and smaller climaxes. If a graph was made based on one of Terrys City watch books, it would look like the silhouette of a Mountain Range.

And he has the most interesting characters as well.
"I've always wondered about his name," said Nobby, possibly the best living demonstration that there was some smooth evolution between humans and animals. "I mean... Legitimate?"
"Can't blame a mother for being proud," said Colon.


So with finishing the Honor Harrington Book, I returned it to Kel last night. Last night was also when he taught me Bloodbowl. Kel has raved on about Bloodbowl since I met him and he has some pretty entertaining stories. So I decided to give the Video game a crack, because it is exactly like the tabletop game but without the finicky bits of keeping track of dice and turns, because the computer does it for you! But I'm a kinaesthetic learner and it's better for me to be shown than to have something written down in front of me. I can read rules better after I understand the game on hand, so the most confusing part (Making a team and placing money into stuff) will be fairly breezy now that I have a better grasp on it. Soon, Skarboyz Orks will be running about doing something...

I won't go too far, because frankly I'm sick of doing gaming blogs. This is a personal blog! I should be doing something OTHER than doing game reviews, or explanations! I have an entire blog about Monsterpocalypse! And I'm working on a D&D Campaign! And I bought Army of Two (1 and 2) for $85 just before! So anything funny that happens will be reported here. Like in D&D. That was funny. That was quite funny. Especially since Aaron gets extremely frustrated over a perfectly legitimate Character.

I sigh in favour for Aaron, as if he ever gets a chance to play my D&D Campaign (if it's refined enough), then he will get to kill a Pseudo Skarburn at level 3. I do fear that I've made it a little too strong, but then again I haven't run the stats by the Monster Manual yet so I'll eventually find out when I get a chance to work the numbers.

This is the state of my world as we know it, and I feel fine.

Edit: In other news, it's been announced! "Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Episode 1" LINKY!

4 comments:

  1. Blood Bowl has a vidgame version? Whoa!

    Terry Pratchett is Good People, by the way. The first couple of Discworld novels he was sorta finding his feet, but after that, it's all gravy. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bernie Mac was in Old Dogs? Holy crap, that must've been filmed ages ago as Bernie Mac's been dead for quite awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Flinthart: Yes indeed, Bloodbowl on computer. And it's only got a few minor changes. Such as there isn't any rain, but the ball bounces more.
    As for Terry, I noticed his improvement on style a few months ago when I read some of the first Rincewind novels.
    Now to pick up the last 3-5 novels I'm missing.

    @Jennicki: It must've, because I forgot that he did that!

    ReplyDelete