26 March 2010

% Completed

A global tradition of common gamer is a lack of completion. Whether it's a lack of interest or maybe a case of A.D.D., gamers have their games that they have placed money into and just haven't completed.

War game figures go unpainted; video game achievements and unlockables go unachieved and remain locked; Random mismatches of collectable cards collect their own sets of dust and compare size and origin of their particles, and trade for ones they want and don't want.

Occasionally you'll find when you go through a line up a sudden realisation that “Holy Crap, these dorks are out of their nerd holes”. But after you get past the shock of that and the B.O., you find that one of these guys is a 'completionist' whether to one particular subject or to all subjects.

All their War Dollies show their banners with pride; No goal in their video games were untouched, they killed all 5000 of each particular creature with each weapon and unlocked all content, such as behind the scenes content and Big Head mode; each set of cards are placed in their own special sleeves as to prevent a mixing of themes.

I'm not one of these people. I have many many figures unpainted, and a particular list that I have the figure for but haven't stripped down and gotten the spare parts for. I have several video games that I haven't contributed enough time to actually get anywhere substantial. And the only card game I would consider investing in is Fight Klub. Otherwise, I have Monsterpocalypse as my collectable game.

The video games has me Irked. I have all these games and I just haven't invested enough time, or any time, into them. My PSP is a good example. I have 5 games. Locoroco 1 and 2, Patapon, Final Fantasy Tactics and Dungeons and Dragons Tactics. I've finished Locoroco 1, got a few chapters into Patapon, and finished one or two levels of FFT and D&DT.

So earlier this week (or late last week, I forget) I bought myself the PSP AV Cables. One of the biggest problems I had was that playing my PSP would give me finger cramps, because I'm trying to hold it up so that I don't get the second problem, Neck Strain from having the PSP in my lap so that I don't get finger cramps.

It's a vicious circle. However if I get the AV Cables I can plug it into my TV and get neither problem! I was hoping I could find a solution to the problem over the net and found a couple of solutions, one of which was the PSP2TV. The problem with that? I need to pop open the PSP and install a particular chip to the hardware.

Fair enough, I can follow instructions and can unscrew the bastard without a problem and probably put him back together. But I still don't trust myself. A little more force than is needed and I've probably broken myself a PSP. And frankly, I don't want to fork out money for having someone do it for me.

Moving on before I start ranting about a UMD Drive and a PSP emulator for the PS3. Shit, have a Reverse Remote Play if you want!

Speaking of the PS3, I have only a couple of games that I haven't finished on there, and they're the downloadable games. They're good games, and I'd like to finish them but... I just haven't kept interest. But with the hard-copy games, I haven't collected all the items and whatever. I'm fine with that, though. They're good games and I really enjoyed them. But I just can't be stuffed going through and collecting all the Trophies and gear.

There's also the PS2 games. I've finished the Majority thereof, but I can't go back to them. My controller is gay and the console itself is noticeably dying. I've had this rant, so I won't go into it again.

So what's stopping me from getting back into these games? From finishing the small goal of “100% Complete”?

Well laziness will be my first answer.

3 comments:

  1. I blame Jen. All nerds understand that once you get a girlfriend the pursuit of gaming suffers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completionism is for people with an overabundance of free time, or those who enjoy a game so much that they need to squeeze every last iota of enjoyment out of a game. I've done that with Trine and Plants vs Zombies, and almost did it with Psychonauts, but those are amongst my favorite games. You do what you enjoy, and no more.

    A homosexual controller? Now that's odd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jygg: YEah, I Figured that would come with the package. I'm working around it.

    @Greg: yes, a homosexual controller. It's strange and can plug into anything it wants. And sometimes it's annoying. I got an annoying one.

    ReplyDelete