15 March 2010

Jenny wants me to do a comic.

Now, I've mentioned that I wanted to do a comic of some sort, most likely to put up on the web. I'm no artist. If anything, I can write an interesting story for it. I can kinda draw. It's nothing Marvel or DC worthy, by far. I can do the occasional doodle (hehe, child) and that's about it, and I enjoy doing doodles (stop being a child) because sometimes they're good. Unlike the melting head the other day. I ended up drawing in a microwave on the original copy and gave the head a reason to melt.

I can figure out a comic to draw. I'd aim for 18 pages, with an interesting storyline. What storyline, I don't know. I really haven't gotten that far in thought, but she wants me to do it.

I have a bunch of A2 paper that Aaron stole from his work and I can use that to draw something up, and the computer works well to organise things for me. I can have the Openoffice doc out and I can read from it when I can. If I have my glasses on, I can read it from the floor.

I dunno. I could do a fanfic story; I could write a Sci-fi Story; I could write a horror story; I could write a fantasy story. All of it a-typical and probably a little boring, but it'd be done, but in the reverse form of James Camerons Avatar, where the story is better than the prettiness. It won't be the wittiest comic on the planet, whoever knows, but it'd be something I can definitely be proud of. And I can put it up on Deviantart.

Heck, if I want to do some random sketches, I have some art books that I haven't done anything with so I can put some frames in that. I can do some old school art layering and draw the character on one page, trace it onto the a2, then draw the background on another page and then trace that around the character.

And to top it off, if I want I can buy the drawing plaque that Richard bought ages ago and use that to do any digital touch ups that can be done.

The only thing I really need is a desk. And I mean a proper desk. Not the flimsy piece of crap that I have at the moment that keeps rocking the monitor as I type because I moved it out of the stable position I had it in before I checked the red wine spillage against the wall from last night when Mel stumbled over, pissed as a fart, while attempting to talk to Jenny (she was, by far, not prepared for that).

I mean a desk covered in leather, or polished wood, something smooth and larger than the A2 paper so I can sit the pile of over 100 pages that I have to tool around with and make the blasted thing. Something that I can sit two lamps so I have a good workplace with great lighting for my figure painting, and have the computer or PS3 playing music or DVD's while I knuckle down and concentrate (background noise does make for the best concentration).

I dunno. I will probably get to work on this after Gencon. The desk will have it's chance, but in the mean time I'm going to see a woman about a storyline.

3 comments:

  1. If you're going to do comix, you need to get some screen arts books out of the library nd bone up on mise en scene, storyboarding action and stuff like that. Comics are kind of like movies you hold in your hand. Most of the story is told in pictures - just the dialogue and a small amount of unavoidable backstory is actually written on the page. Regardless, you need to write a comic in script form first, then figure out how to draw all the action emotional responses (like shock horror etc) on the faces of your characters.

    However, the best thing about comics is you can do them on the kitchen table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to be so good at this, Meds. I can't WAIT to follow your progress and see the final result! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the Tip Hughesy! Do you have any book recommendations for teaching storyboard?

    I could do them on the Kitchen Table... But my one of my roommates will bother me and offer tips and opinion that he has probably very little knowledge about except what he read on wiki.


    I love your optimism, Jen.

    ReplyDelete