27 July 2009

Should I get some pink bows for my hair?


Shawday is pressuring me into reading the Twilight series, a story of a girl and a vampire.

I have heard nothing good about the book or the movies except from wistful girls who daydream about being married and 'taming the savage beast'.
Those who are actually down to earth say that it is a poorly written story that is Aimed at that particular audience.
To quote Aaron's Oxymoron: "The author repeats himself in a variety of ways."
His primary example was at the event of when the female protagonist (I've been lead to beleive she is a protagonist) looks at the character "Edward Cullen", she is taken aback from his beauty.
Every.  Time.
Always something different as well.  "My heart stopped a moment when I gazed upon his bulging eyebrow".  "Birds sang as I stared into his perfectly rounded nostrils".
It's like hearing a corny romance novel, except that 'delicate flower' is probably just his left ear.

However, this surprised me when Shawday told me to begin reading these poorly written novels.
She is very down to earth and far from the target audience I mentioned above.
In her words: "They're so badly written that it's good. Ultimate love story.  Made me depressed."
My return was: "That's what i heard. And I refuse to defile my eyes like that when there's perfectly good knives to stab them with. Not to mention the lemons."
Her laughter was a good sign to show that she didn't take it seriously.  "But seriously. read them."

I submitted to her will (Girls: what can you do?) and said I would read the books to sate her gushing.
The only benefit I can see out of this is that I will be able to generate an unbiased opinion.  Heck, maybe even a good opinion of it.
I have doubt for the latter, as this certainly is not my genre of reading, but you never know.

While on the subject of being opinionated about books, I've recently been reading through the Starcraft Novels.  So far, I've completed "Wings of Liberty" and am currently halfway through "Shadow of the Xel'naga".
They're not bad books.  Some parts could certainly be improved.  There are a few insubstantial descriptions for key characters; and where there are descriptions, some of them are inappropriate for the actual scene.
Overall it's a read for Starcraft Fans, or someone who is looking into Starcraft.

That's about all I can say for now.  I've still got another book and a half to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment