14 June 2010

Got Felafel for $2.50

I woke up today to talk to Jenny in a mood that cannot be expressed without getting in trouble with someone somewhere along the grape vine. After a few hours of talking, I received a message. "Wanna go to the lifeline book festival at the convention centre with me today?"

Now this sounded great. Going book hunting through the collection of tossed out books? I just wish Jenny could join me. We'd grab a trolley and I'd let her clothesline the display tables until she was happy. She might have a problem with the hundreds of copies and variations of the story of Hey-zeus, and the... oh probably 50 copies of "Dragon Quest 3" that we found at the childrens table, along with a particular Murder-Mystery book that I've forgotten the name of that seemed a bit too adult for a childrens able, but overall Jenny would've had a small library that she could call her own at a very cheap price.

PS: Holy crap why does my Magnum taste like sultanas?
PPS: for all the seppos floating about, Magnum in Australia is actually a chocolate ice cream that isn't meant to taste like sultanas.


And I mean cheap. I got a total of 7 books (Well 6 and a half if you consider the size of one of them) for about $30. Two of them were for my writing, being an instructional guide to help with me writing an actual novel. I would like the help and when Danika found one she liked, I picked that up too. She wants to write too, and I figured that she can borrow it and I'll read it too. There's never just one way to skin a cat after all.

Two more books were for Jenny. Now I'm not sure how she'll appreciate them. One is the Fictional works of Henry Lawson, lots of short stories of his. The other is a history of Queensland, with photographs and stuff. I really want to get something better, but I'm really not sure what she's into. I know she reads anything and everything, but there was just too many "Womens romance adventure" books there. And frankly I can write my own Corny Romance for her.

Lastly, I got 3 fiction books. The first is a mini-book for the Tales of the Otori. I picked up the first three tales of the Otori books years ago, and I loved them. I know there are about 2-3 more but I just haven't bothered going to pick them up. So a mini-book in the same setting of Medieval Japan sounds like a good short read for me.

The next is a Volume 2 of the Mission Earth Series. It's a random Science Fiction book that I saw and actually got rather keen on. It's got a rather old school style of cover which kinda hooked me in. yes, yes, i know, "Never Judge a book by it's cover" but with a title like "Black Genesis, Fortress of Evil", L. Ron Hubbard sounds like an interesting read.

And lastly, because I wanted to read it so long ago, I found "He Died With a Felafel In His Hand". I wanted to read it ages ago after I saw the play, it was an interesting insight into the psychology of the share house habitat and the creatures stirring within. Now that I've given some people a good giggle, I'll give you the honest truth and say that I just wanted to have a laugh while I'm parked on the home throne.

And to boot, it was actually a birthday gift to someone back in 1995. Ah the things you'll find at Book Festivals.

2 comments:

  1. Can I borrow falafel when your finished?

    ReplyDelete
  2. sure. Do you have my Pixar shorts DVD?

    ReplyDelete