11 June 2010

Lack of Title

Today I write from the Train where some of Brisbanes Northsiders commute to a day more interesting than wondering when that schoolgirl will finish plastering makeup on.

Yes, ladies and Gentlemen. I have a netbook. I bought it for a few reasons.

1: I've always wanted one because I'm a technophile. And also for those moments when I want to write. I've always wanted to grab a laptop and sit down in the middle of the park and write about what's happening around me, and just see where my mind rolls. I know there's imagination in there, else I wouldn't have fucked up dreams that I wake up from in a jolt at 3am and slowly forget what happened as I realise I'm in my Bedroom and I haven't been drooling teeth.
2: I figured going to the US soon would require blogging. And according to Adela, I must blog and tweet almost every second of it. There can be a few seconds where I can scoff down my breakfast or lunch, but I shouldn't take that leniency too far.
3: Photos do require a little more storage than just the memory cards I have for the digital camera I got for $50 from Jeremy. And since jay and tim have so humbly requested that I take a photo of each and every cosplayer at Gencon, I'm thinking this will be great for storing the hundreds of photos that I wil be taking over the four days.
4: My Ikea chair has started to give me the shits. I'm tired of sitting there as I try and figure out something to write, or while I'm talking to Jen (No offence to Jen of course). I think I'm starting to wear out the seat of the Ikea chair. So now that I can do it from my bed, I can be so extremely lazy now. So VERY VERY lazy. Next Purchase: Bedpan.

“Northgate station. Platform on the right.”
Great, more school kiddies. Corpus Christie Girls too. You know what I mean, Erin.

So I think number 1 has started to kick in. I have a bunch of words I've kicked in between Geebung station and Wooloowin station, and I'm rather impressed. It's not what I want to write about right now, no I want to write about what's happening on Monday, and only a few people will know what Monday means.

Albion, Albion station, Platform on the Left.
Farewell, Love Den. Hello deceivingly long stretch of train ride to “Next station is Bowen Hills. Anyone for the Ferny Grove Line, please change at Bowen Hills.”

Fuck it is cold today. It was possibly colder yesterday, but I don't give s hit abut yesterday now. It's just cold today. That fucking ghostly wind that dances across your bones when it billows gives me frostbite as I just think about it. Seriously, I'm a pussy when it comes to the cold. We probably haven't even knocked on single digit temperatures yet, and here I am freezing my South Australians off.

I'm somewhat frightened to think of the repercussions of going to kalamazoo (I still think it's a made up city when I hear the name) for a White Xmas. I'm going to have to fight for my rights to stay in the room we're sleeping in! I know I'll have to go out and talk with people and have dinner at a restaurant and actually leave the heated house that they live in, but I know I really won't want to.

My phone is a Nokia. Nokias are Swiss? I think. I know it's around that region. And Nokias are also expendable. They're not the most expensive on the market, and they're durable phones. The phone I use, however, has died in the arse after texting more than the phone can withstand, and also being dropped a few times too many.


So where was I. I'm at harrys diner now having lunch, a savoury mince baked potato and watching the reflection of myself typing in the screen. Were there a connnection available to me, I would be talking to Jenny and introducing her to Harrys Diner, a restaurant she has found no end of pleasure in.

I haven't blogged in two weeks. Not sure what's going on there, I just haven't found anything to talk about that is more appropriately placed on my Monsterpocalypse website, http://ih8mogroth.blogspot.com, another site that Jenny has had no end of pleasure in. She adores my rambles of various Fiendish figures of the game.

But no rambles on the Nerd Hole. Twitter even seems to be disappearing. Facebook? That's started to run down the shitter. Haven't posted a status in months, and the last major thing I've done aside from replying to comments and 'Liking' things is set an event up for my Birthday to go to the Manabar. 26 June from after midday for those interested. But yes, I'm slowly disconnecting myself. Haven't disconnected from Jenny at all, though I'm yet to "Connect" if you catch my drift, hur hur hur.

But you know what, that's only a few weeks from now I'll be travelling to the USA to play games and then have a wonderful 10-ish days with Jenny and Co. It's very exciting, and I will be blogging most of it to the world of my fantastical adventures with Waggles, Scott, Aaron and Caryl.

Speaking of which, I should probably warn Waggles about Aaron and Caryl and see if we're able to squeeze them into the Hotel. That is, if he doesn't catch this before then. That almost sounded like this is a disease or something.

Man, i'm loving this computer. If only there was an open connection around here, then I could have 'lunch dates' with Jenny. In the mean time, I blog. And maybe write if I find the inspiration. Could always just do my D&D Campaign.


Tonight was a gaming night. Usually reserved for playing D&D with the fellas, but due to lack of interest with the guys and the DM's exhaustion from being a Sparky and having to travel back and forth from Melbourne at least once every week (Seriously) it was a good time to offer the guys a bit of a break.

A new gaming group for Warmachine had started up in Caboolture, and Kel had already been up as he kept track of it on the Wargaming website that's locally used. He wanted a few more experienced players to attend so that a few more demo games could be tossed in amongst the night and basically introduce themselves as reps for the rest of the city players.

It began with Richard, Aaron, Scotty and I, with Kel leading the V formation into the community hall. However, Mel got sick so Richard was booted which caused the lift for Aaron and I to turn to Kel, who was more than happy to pick us up from my place and move on.

Then Aaron realised that he was certainly not going to last the night as he had just gotten off the plane when he got to my place, so on the way there we made a slight detour to drop him off at his parents.

Scotty was already there. He decided that instead of catching a lift with Richard and I, he decided to get ahead and take the train there with his gear. Fair enough, I tried to speak him into it but he just talked over and affirmed his own plans of getting there. Sadly, he forgot the directions from the station to the community hall, and so I got a call every 10/15 minutes asking where I was or reminding me that he was still lost.

But we got there eventually at 7:20 and we had a good time. We met up with a bunch of guys and I got two battlebox games in with one guy who was behind on the times and hadn't played in about 2-3 years, and another guy who was keen on the game but was still debating his choice of faction, whether to go the Zealous Protectorate of Menoth, or the Undying Cryx.

He was good fun to play, however there was another fella. He's a nice guy and his heart is in the right place, which means he's annoying. He acted at the new guys guide to strategy, and frankly strategy isn't needed for battlebox games.

Battlebox games are games that pit two factions with minimal models against each other. I chose Khador because they're my favourite faction, and because nobody else was particularly interested in them. My opponent took up the Protectorate of Menoth as his first demo game, to teach him basic rules of the game, and give him an idea on the way Protectorate work. He had me outnumbered on figures, however I had him outmatched on toughness. My two heavy warjacks can take and deal a significant amount of damage, but offer no utility and receive next to no benefits from the warcaster other than one of 2 spells and a few very expensive combos.

His army however offered more utility. He has one Heavy warjack, and two light warjacks. The Heavy Warjack is simple, and offers a heavy beatstick for the army. The two light warjacks take on the utlity by acting as a conductor for spells and an annoying little bastard.

Our man of the match was the Repenter, a warjack equipped with a Napalm Thrower and a flail who set fire to my Juggernaut early in the game, and the fire remained in play to deal more and more damage over the next 2 turns. He died almost immediately after that turn, but he did his job. The only way he could've acted better was if he caught my warcaster.

Anyway considering the lack of models for a serious army and the fact that it was a first game for the fellow, it was kinda annoying to see old mate reaching across the table and getting finukey about each action and reaction and what spells he could've used, giving situation after situation after situation, etc etc etc.

Like I said. He's a nice guy, and his heart is in the right place. But that doesn't make it more annoying.

I think I'm getting better at demoing games, actually. I explained the rules as best I could and tried as much as possible to prevent confusion, I tried to list 1 alternative and let the figure out others for themselves, and tried to speak as clearly as possible, and I didn't speak over Old Mate so that I prevented even more confusion happening.

So I treid, but I think the guy I played wasn't too overloaded with the rules and such. A bit more practice for him and he'll get a good grip on it.

Now I'm going to listen to recordings of Jenny as I go to sleep now. Call me a sap, but she is absolutely adorable. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to put up a post for monday. Worst case, friday.

7 comments:

  1. I miss that train trip. Farewell Love Den

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you.

    Wait--are you coming for Christmas?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not this Xmas. Maybe next Xmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ALD I'm sure it misses you too. Particularly your delicious soul that it drinks from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jaysus, Medster! What model Netbook did you get, and what drugs did it come with? I like a good Netbook as much as the next chap, but you must have got a very nice little keyboard there... either that or the train trip is a shitload longer than I recall it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just an Acer Aspire and two pills wrapped in that 10 Piece Extra gum packets.

    And that train trip? Possibly just a smidgen longer than you may remember it. My train makes about 2 stops before it ends up at B-Hills. "Waiting for the lights to change" they say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY! Corpus reference! although matty, it is now Mary Mackillop College. Those girls have got nothing on me.

    Ps. I am coming on Sat, what time shall I attend for maximum catch up time?

    pps. Obviously I believe your birthday is the perfect time for me to consume all of your attention.

    ReplyDelete