14 March 2011

Foot-the-ball

I'm a fan of Terry Pratchett, and recently I have been reading Unseen Academicals. The story is about the wizards of the Unseen University having to play the Poor Boys Fun, or Football. Because Terry is a Pom, he's meaning Soccer. And because I don't like using the word Football, I use their alternative names.

Rugby, Aussie Rules, Gridiron, Soccer, etc etc etc. That's just my thing to prevent confusion. Just don't use the word Football.

Anyway, I had an epiphany last night which had nothing to do with Unseen Academicals at first, but blossomed into it.

I was looking at Bloodbowl last night, the Fantasy Gridiron Board Game. I want to do Orcs because... well I like Orcs. I want to make a team because of 2 reasons. 1: Because some of my mates really like Bloodbowl, and 2: Because it's funny.

Then I thought I should make a Human team, a fairly even sort of team that one can make in Bloodbowl.

Now I'm sure you see where I'm going with this.

So a Bloodbowl Team of Wizards. Conveniently enough, there are some Discworld Figures that one can purchase to add to the team, like Rincewind who would be a Catcher because he can run, but fingers crossed in the right direction. Should just put a potato at the goal area.

I'm not sure how many other Wizard Figures there are, but chances are there's Ridcully in there. I know that the Librarian is available, and he just HAS to be in the game. He can take the role of Ogre because he's as strong as one.

Cheerleaders I'd like to say are the Witches, but all I see are Granny Weatherwax looking on disapprovingly with her Pom Poms on the floor, and Nanny Ogg dancing on a table singing the hedgehog song.

The Apothecary HAS to be Ironic so it's a position given to Death.

I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head, so I'll leave it at that for characters. But modelwise, there's a few funny ones I can think of.

Blitzers or Blockers would be Wizards with the biggest guts, big round bellys . One of the catchers would be a take from the Female Human Uncertain Receiver, but instead of opening his top he'll just lift his robe to make a net.

That's my idea for a Male Human Bloodbowl team. Once I get the details down, I'll probably look into it and then see how far the Unseen Academicals can get.

-----

I damn Blarkon for giving me the idea for "Shirtless Chaos" - a Chaos Bloodbowl team that is made up of Warmachine Figures. Doomreaver Linemen and Nihilator Blitzers. I don't know what else to use, because there's nothing else that's really shirtless, but damn this is fkn ridiculous.

3 comments:

  1. Pratchet Fan and Bloodbowl fanatic chiming in: Catchers: Twoflower and Rincewind. Ogre: Luggage. Thrower: The Librarian (Can you imagine the arm on him? Blitzers & Linemen: various Wizards. Great Concept!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luggage: http://www.impactminiatures.com/index.php?option=elfother_profile&id=EO_TRSC

    or the whole team from here:
    http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/discworld-miniatures-c-48.html?page=4

    And wouldn't shirtless chaos be a Norse team?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if these guys look very nordic... http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/file/view/nihilators.jpg/154306615/nihilators.jpg

    ReplyDelete