20 March 2011

Package C/O Jennys House, K-zoo

So a while ago, Jenny sent me a package with a variety of books that she wanted me to read, books she thought I'd like and appreciate. I looked at my Library and thought I should do the same.

And so I'm sending her these.



At a cursory glance, there would recognisably be a few Nerdy Novels. Starcraft, Halo, Gears of War being the easiest to spot on the climb down before noticing Terry Pratchett in bright and bold letters down the bottom.

Lets start there, shall we? Terry Pratchett hasn't graced Jennys memory yet, and though I've bought her the Tiffany Aching books, she hasn't gotten around to reading them. But she's a blitz of a reader, so I imagine that putting a novel and a trilogy on top of the pile wouldn't hurt.

The Bottom book is a Trilogy of Rincewind Novels, specifically Sourcery, Eric and Interesting Times. I figure its not a bad way to get into the Discworld because it gives a good imagery of life itself within the discworld.

Higher up in the list, fourth from the top to be precise, is a novel she would get about as much excitement as I did when I read it: Guards! Guards! It's rated as one of my favourites so I thought best to send it.

Back to the bottom and up a level we look at a brown book sleeved book that has faded gold title. Across the Nightingale Floor, a wonderful Japanese Medieval story based around a boy and how his life has gone topsy turvy. Not a comedic book, by any sense.

Next level up is one of my more recent favourites based on the Gears of War universe. Set straight after Geras of War 1, the main characters are followed as they go through their life of consistant war, while reminiscing on how these characters became to be who they are. It's fantastically written and flows fantastically.

Catherine Jinks is a random addition. I first saw this book in high school, and it was one of those books that I saw at a glance and just had to pick it up because staring at it wasn't going to get me anywhere. Eventually I bought all four of the books and now they're in my collection forever. Set primarily in the middle east, it tells of a young boy who is out of place during the Great Crusades.

Halo: the Fall of Reach. If you're gonna start somewhere, may as well be the beginning. I like Halo because it's an interesting sci-fi setting. The only thing that really bugs me about the entire series is that my friend Scott is one of those fans who, if you say anything wrong about it, he'll turn to you and tell you that it's wrong and why and explain in detail what it properly is. I won't get any further into that.

Anyway, moving on. Guards! Guards! is already talked about, so we won't spoil it with more spotlight. But suffering from more spotlight, even over the point of glare, is Myst: The Book of Atrus.

Anyone who has followed games around the late 1990's knows about Myst, a rather difficult puzzle game. This book is the prequel to it, I believe. I've never played the Myst game, but if ever I have the urge I can buy it for my PSP but 1: I dont, and 2: I have stubborn and somewhat petty reasons not to. It's what one would call a slow novel, as one would consider a movie slow, but each moment isn't wasted one describing how long and tedious someone walks.

Another video game novel is Starcraft: Libertys Crusade. This is one of two of the three Starcraft Novels I have, that I like. It follows in more detail the story of Starcraft 1, the Terran Campaign.

And last, but by far not the least, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell. Everything about this series, novels and games alike, are awesome. Full Stop. Awesome. I just can't say how awesome they are. I dived into the games, and fell head over heels for them, and the novels are just as good. Spy novels are fun, and this one proves it.

These are the books I'm definitely going to send to her. I am debating a tenth book, an omnibus of the ORCS books, but I'm on the fence about it. It's not exactly a book i'd recommend because it kinda twists suddenly towards the end, but it's a good action book that shows comradery at it's finest.

All well. Jenny will probably read it one day and maybe she'll demand why I didn't give it to her earlier.

2 comments:

  1. You are so sweet!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suggest the Pratchet trilogy first. Prachett is simply awesome. My suggestion for anyone: Hyperion & Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons. Simply awesome.

    ReplyDelete