09 March 2011

Onward to Nerd Hold!

I think my mood for video gaming has begun to wane again. Lately I have been playing Castle Crashers, because I picked it up knowing that it's a really fun game by playing the Demo. Picked it up and bam, played it with Scotty and Dick and mowed through the game like a goat through your washing.

I went to their website, www.castlecrashers.com, and looked at the latest blog entry. Turns out their preparing for the Penny Arcade eXpo (PAX) and to promote their game they've made a series of Arcade Cabinets. It looks awesome.

Since then, I've been practically obsessed with the idea of making an Arcade Cabinet. One day I will have my own Man Cave which i will call Nerd Hold because when I was trying to type the name of it earlier I put in a D instead of an E and frankly it just sounds cool (btw Kel, if Alex's little castle gate goes missing one day, I didn't steal it even if it is standing over the door for added effect).

So now I've been playing with the idea. It'd have to be designed for four players on a curved table (so nobody is playing with a twisted neck) and room for food and drinkholders (if it's for personal effects, you know at least 3 people will be drinking on its christening), and the lot of em will plug into a console of some sort. I thought about adding a stereo and speakers to it, something for some bass I thought before thinking "What am I, a guido?"

No, sir. I am not.

To boot, the space lizard Blarkon himself pointed me to a mate of his who scratch built his own cabinet! Under AU$500 too! Thats just awesome! (I'm sure if I slipped the boss a few dinero I could nick the CRT monitor that's sitting in the corner at work... if it still works that is...)

http://delicategeniusblog.com/?p=842
http://cid-c9ab6b8b280c0084.office.live.com/view.aspx/Docs/Win7%20Arcade.pptx

But yeah. I even toyed around with the idea of having two cabinets but themed based on their console. So a Playstation one would look like a Giant Playstation Portable, and the Xbox one would look like this but put a rectangle for the screen. Or do their controllers respectively. I dunno, we'll see I suppose. This is for years down the track when I get Nerd Hold up and running.

Arcade Cabinet Concept #1 on TwitpicArcade Cabinet Concept #2 and #3 - Console Themed on Twitpic

No comments:

Post a Comment